2nl Zoom TT vs shortstack

Old
2nl Zoom TT vs shortstack - Fri Nov 29, 2013, 01:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012

BTN 14/10 33 hands
BB 46/46; 3b 4/9; 13 hands

It's a small sample but none the less he 3bets a lot
Was it ok to do with TT, if not, what's the right range?
Are there some arguments for a call? I think if I call I'm likely to get overcards on the board and BTN may try to push me off if I check and basically I just lose 35bb.

Last edited by Praydk; Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 01:25 AM..

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 04:17 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Praydk,

I prefer folding in this spot. Firstly, 13 hands is not enough to risk 35bbs on. He might have gotten good hands those few times, and he might have a good hand now. If we put V3 on a range of any pocket pair and any two broadway cards, you are still only a 60/40 favorite. You are not getting the right odds to continue. Moreover, V1 is still to act. We don't know what he will do. Calling is going to be a disaster because as you said there are a ton of overcards that can come on the flop. If V1 calls behind you will have a hard time playing most flops. If you are going to continue, I would reraise all in to isolate V3.

In general, I prefer to be postflop before risking my stack at 2NL. In this particular spot, I would 4bet with AA, KK. I don't see any hands that I would flat call with. Big pairs play best against a single opponent. Therefore, I would reraise with AA and KK rather than risk V1 calling behind. With QQ you don't really want to risk seeing overcards on the flop. And AK is not yet a made hand. With QQ and AK we are better 4betting in spots where the villain has a decent stack behind as this gives us the added fold equity necessary to make 4b shoving these hands a viable line.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
FWIW, my default range for "flipping" with those (usually dreadful) 40bb shorties is JJ+/AK, as their pre-flop stack off range is something like 88+/AQ+/AJs+, which I want to be ahead of. TT only has 48% equity against that range, so it's more or less a breakeven proposition to call here. Occasionally I'll get it in with TT, but only if the shorty is playing something like 35/20 or higher, or is apparently tilt-shoving after a bad beat.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com