5NL Zoom, QQ UTG, 3bet overcard flop

Old
5NL Zoom, QQ UTG, 3bet overcard flop - Fri Nov 29, 2013, 10:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013

- no hud
- no history w/ villain

Preflop
- Open raise UTG. got 3 bet by villain. Flat call since I have no reads of villain.

Flop:
- Villain checks behind.

Turn:
- chk/call, thinking QQ is still good

River:
- Villain bets again.

Question:

1. Do I have enough showdown value to call down?
2. How was my preflop play? Should I have 4bet/fold preflop?

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 12:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2013
1.Turn call is OK

On the river without reads I must assign villain premium range + JJ & AcQc. He either slow played big hand on scary board to keep smaller pairs in, keeps bluffing with AcQc or tries to get thin value with QQ or JJ.

So we are losing to AK, AA & KK, chopping with QQ and winning AcQc & JJ. There is 19 combinations we lose to, 1 we chop and 7 we beat, giving us chances 2,7:1. On the call, price we are getting is 1,7:1 so its a fold.

Specially when villain checks JJ and QQ usually behind, being himself afraid of king. So our hand is only a bluff catcher and people don't bluff enough on micros to make this call profitable.

2. I would 4bet QQ preflop any time and get it in even without reads.

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 08:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2012
Unknown 3-bets a UTG open in middle position so I think its safe to give him a premium range right off the bat [AK+, QQ and in some cases JJ] - we have about 45% equity if we get it in preflop vs that range so it might not be the worst play to 4-bet/stack off but if this guy isn't doing this with JJ we drop to 38% equity so like you I would probably just flat. Not folding without a dead on read.

Turn is fine. River I think is a fold, the only hand in his range that we are beating (excluding any random bluffs) is JJ and I think it would be pretty optimistic for JJ to go for 2 streets of value on this board, don't really know what he would expect to be called by.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 06:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
I agree with the Low Rated and MintDeal here.
I think villain could have AA/AK/KK a good amount of the time here. The board is very dry and their are no turn card that could be scary or threatening to their holding. Also villain might not have many JJ in their 3bet range vs an UTG open. So we are looking at a very narrow range here.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 06:16 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
I also think their could be an argument to be made for betting the turn ourselves to get value from JJ and not give a free card to a hand like AQ but that's if they have a wider 3bet range vs UTG. But its going to be a x/f river if called anyway.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 06:00 PM
(#6)
good discussion. Thanks everyone. You were all mostly right.

I did call and faced an AK from the villain.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 06:01 PM
(#7)
good discussion. Thanks everyone. You were all mostly right.

I did call and faced an AK from the villain.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com