Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Road to SuperNova - Ask Jared Tendler

Old
Road to SuperNova - Ask Jared Tendler - Fri Nov 29, 2013, 11:16 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2010
(Administrator)
WhiteStar
Hello,

Jared Tendler has coached many players to the level of SuperNova and SuperNova Elite on PokerStars. He has kindly offered to answer your questions on the subject here in this thread and also has wrote an excellent article on the subject which can be found here:

So don't miss out on this fantastic opportunity to get some advice and tips on the 'Road to SuperNova' during 2014. Post your questions for Jared to answer here in this thread.

Team PokerSchoolOnline

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Administration

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 11:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hi, Great post what sort of bankroll would you recommend starting out with to achieve Supernova?

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 11:56 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshireman View Post
Hi, Great post what sort of bankroll would you recommend starting out with to achieve Supernova?
I'm not Jared, but you'll have to give him more info. Such as: what stake are you beating presently?, How many hours a day or week or month are you willing to work?

I really like your post Jared. That's the road I took. It took me 2 years since I started at 5NL. One needs to set goals and not only yearly goals, but monthly and then weekly. The goals have to be detailed on how they will be achieve, a step by step guide to success.

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 12:46 PM
(#4)
(Moderator)
thanks sand

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 12:48 PM
(#5)
(Moderator)
By the way,i have read your posts with great interest, many thanks for your very informative input.

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 12:50 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2012
Hello, if I'm cash and sng player do you think its optimal to play both so I don't feel burned out during the marathon to SN or is it better to just focus on one particular game and take more breaks?

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 01:58 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2013
BronzeStar
Do mtt players reach it?
Do u have to be playing 20+ tables a session?

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by moreevmurph; Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 04:11 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreevmurph View Post
Do mtt players reach it?
Do u have to be playing 20+ tables a session?

Follow me on Twitter
Supernova is 100,000VPPs. Play 300 days out of 365 = 333 points a day

There are 5.5VPPs per dollar paid in rake.

$50+5 games like the Hot $55 pay 27.5VPPs so you need to play 27 a day.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 04:47 PM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2010
Great post by Jared.

I must also say that I enjoy Sandtrap's postings that he has made about poker in general and about Supernova.

I am considering whether I can/should aim for Supernova next year.

Is it feasible to reach Supernova at 10NL or 25NL or do I need to improve my game to 50NL/100NL before Supernova is a realistic target?

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 05:12 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
Great post by Jared.

I must also say that I enjoy Sandtrap's postings that he has made about poker in general and about Supernova.

Is it feasible to reach Supernova at 10NL or 25NL or do I need to improve my game to 50NL/100NL before Supernova is a realistic target?
Thanks spand
10NL or 25NL, it all depends on how many hours you're willing to put in to achieve it and second, most important, are you beating the level you're at and does your BR permit it.

At 25NL 6-max it's about 70,000 hands a month, 16,200 a week or 2,800 a day. At an average of 65 hands an hour for 6 hours, that's about 8 tables. (regular tables). This looks like a full time job. (at Zoom 4 tables, that would be about 3 hours a day)
Therefore at 10NL multiply everything by 2 (almost 130,000 hands per month)

Old
Sun Dec 01, 2013, 11:45 AM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2010
This year it's already too late to make it to SuperNova.
Thanks for this wonderful article.
I've been thinking to start grinding PLO $0.25/$0.50 Regular Cash Game and play MTTs.
I never grind SNGs before so I don't know how it like to grind a lot of them, but hear some good news by grinding 18-man Turbo and 180-man Turbo SNGs.
You do want to make profits on the same time while grinding.

Any suggestion to reach SuperNova?

Let's say I will start on $1000 bankroll next year and I willing to put full time on Poker.
I like PLO and playing tournaments.
What would be the best for me?

Old
Sun Dec 01, 2013, 07:20 PM
(#12)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar
hey y all
there is a neat little program in the VIP section that will actually tell what you need to do to get to each level and a vpp calculator that tell s you if you play x@ y you ll get so many vpp s
real handy and eye opening you find it in the ps lobby under help then vip levels the calculator is at the bottom under more help

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by wetmoose 613; Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: addition

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:51 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
BronzeStar
hi Jared Tendler i can make a bankroll about 100$ i want ask you about a plan for cash game with my bankroll

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one that has opened for us.

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 05:44 PM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2013
Hey everyone,

Great to see that you enjoyed my post about making Supernova. You've asked a lot of important questions, unfortunately I don't have answers to many of them. My expertise in not in the games, number of tables or number of hands needed to make SN. Thankfully Sand, Ovalman, and I'm sure many others, have stepped in.

I am expert in helping players increase their mental endurance, focus, motivation, and to improve other mental game issues, like tilt, that often get in the way of their ability to play enough. If you have questions around those topics I'm happy to answer them.

Have a great weekend!
Jared

Jared Tendler - The Mental Game of Poker

Old
Sat Dec 07, 2013, 09:24 AM
(#15)
Hi Jared,

How can I build up my endurance for playing multi tables. I lose concentration after an hour and start making mistakes. I solved it by taking breaks and playing less tables but to reach high VPPs then you need a lot of volume.

Also until now, I've concentrated on getting my game right before I play too many table but I now think my game is good enough to keep my ROI pretty high and play more tables. I do suffer from looking at my graph after a downswing. I then play less tables, play a different game or even move sites. How can I combat feeling sorry for myself when things don't go my way?

As an example of my volume, I've played 50 STTs on Stars and 150 STTs elsewhere this week all at a decent ROI. I reckon I could double that if I solved my mental issues.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 20, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#16)
Since: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Hi Jared,

How can I build up my endurance for playing multi tables. I lose concentration after an hour and start making mistakes. I solved it by taking breaks and playing less tables but to reach high VPPs then you need a lot of volume.

Also until now, I've concentrated on getting my game right before I play too many table but I now think my game is good enough to keep my ROI pretty high and play more tables. I do suffer from looking at my graph after a downswing. I then play less tables, play a different game or even move sites. How can I combat feeling sorry for myself when things don't go my way?

As an example of my volume, I've played 50 STTs on Stars and 150 STTs elsewhere this week all at a decent ROI. I reckon I could double that if I solved my mental issues.
Hey Ovalman,

How many tables do you play at one time? At what stakes?

Why do you look at your graph during a downswing? Why are you feeling sorry for yourself?

Post some more and then I will too.

Jared Tendler - The Mental Game of Poker

Old
Sat Dec 21, 2013, 09:08 AM
(#17)
Hi Jared,
I can 10 table with a profit but would average 6 most times. I'm averaging 28 games/ day so I know at this volume I'd need to be playing $15 stakes to reach SN. I'm nowhere near this buy in but I know I could be. I won a weekly rake race on another site last week playing $5 SnGs at an 8% ROI. Higher stakes doesn't bother me, my game is good, I just need the bankroll.

I tend to look at HEM too often. It's great seeing that graph go up but as soon as it starts going down then I play less tables/ change games/ drop stakes/ change poker site's. I guess this is how I deal with downswings and it's always worked but to hit SN you need to set a pace and keep to it.

Keeping focused is also a problem. I'm grinding well this month but hardly played last month.

I'm reading your MGP2 in stops and starts but I may join audible and download both books. I feel I take in more in audio and visual formats than I do in written form.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com