Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6-max Zoom

Old
2NL 6-max Zoom - Fri Nov 29, 2013, 03:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
No real info on villain other than he was one tabling Zoom.

My thoughts are the flop donk feel like a flush draw or similar. Maybe bottom set? Then the check/raise turn screams strength so I tank for a while before laying it down, figuring set is most probably.

However I was slightly tilted from a pretty awful session and I'm not sure if I was misreading or if I was reading correctly and didn't intsa-muck because my judgement was affect by my tilt. All thoughts/reads/criticisms appreciated

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I think you should raise OTF quite large for value when he donkbets. A lot of people donkbet the flop as a bluff and immediately fold to a 2bet. If he continues to show aggression on later streets, then I think you can confidently fold if you don't improve.

As played, his huge check-raise of the turn looks very strong. I think you made the correct decision in taking a bet/fold line with your holding on that board texture against an unknown villain.

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 04:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
I agree with raising the donk bet, for value for the most part, if we get a call then we can reassess on future action as K5/7/9 are in lots of 2NL players ranges.

Without reads its hard to make an informed choice but at 2NL AK on that board is a strong hand as KQ/KJ/KT can be that nuts to a lot of people on that board.

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 08:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
175bb deep so no reason to be building too big a pot with TPTK especially since this villain is an unknown. All I can suggest is betting bigger OTT, about 18c - 22c would be nice for value from weaker holdings. Villain x/r super big OTT so I think that I would get outta there pretty quickly without a good read, good fold - well played.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 12:29 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Chris,

The flop donk bet is often indicative of a marginal 1 pair hand trying to "see where it's at" or a draw, so I wouldn't be opposed to raising him right here with AK.

On the turn when he check/raises you this does indeed look like a strong value line. Since we beat none of his turn value check/raising range, I like the fold. It's possible he chose to lead the flop once a while with 55, but I think most of his value range in this spot is K9, 97, 99, 68.

@spand, if we thought the villain is donking as a bluff, then raising big is the worst option here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 11:50 AM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2012
Thanks everyone, I tend to agree with what you're all saying about raising the flop here. I think I must have not been thinking too clearly here so my question's definately been answered

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com