Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Nl 25 Zoom: How to play TT as PFR on K high board?

Old
Nl 25 Zoom: How to play TT as PFR on K high board? - Fri Nov 29, 2013, 04:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Hey there,

I want to know how you play your line vs a standard TAG reg in this spot.

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 04:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I'd Cbet the flop almost always here. There's only one overcard that we have to be worried about and we will get a fold a decent percentage of the time, especially against a TAG who is OOP.

As played, once villain checks back the turn, I would now check back. Our hand is probably good and getting it to showdown is not a bad outcome. If we bet, we won't get worse to call or better to fold.

FWIW, if we Cbet the flop and Villain called, if he then checked the turn back to us, I would continue to CBet as a semi-bluff with the intention of folding to a raise.

As played OTR, once he checks back a third time I agree with your value bet.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 12:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi bald,

I would generally c-bet the flop HU when checked to here, both for value and to protect my equity and c-betting range.

If called and checked to on the turn, I would check back this turn, as there's no chance better hands will fold but this card makes it hard for worse hands to call.

As played I don't like the river bet sizing... he's checked to us 3 times, so his range is likely very weak, meaning the only action we can likely get are from bluffs and curiosity calls. He's already forgone every opportunity to bluff. I don't think a large bet of 2/3rds pot gets either. I think we should bet 1/3rd pot or less, even a tiny bet like the minimum of .10c, where we can get those curiosity calls and maybe sometimes entice the guy to make a move and c/r us.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 02:47 AM
(#4)
thx spand and Langolier,

two of my studygroup guys said exactly the same, but I wasnt convinced yet, but now its 4 vs 1 so even though this is clearly not a three street value hand I am gonna start c-betting in theese spots, your reasoning makes sense.

A follow up question of mine is:

Do you C-bet your entire UTG open range in this spot? Or check back a hand like QQ or maybe a loose open with KJs on a fishy table?

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 06:12 AM
(#5)
The Langolier has done an excellent live training video in the archive on Continuation Betting that I can recommend:

Continuation Betting in NLHE

Choosing when to CBet depends on many factors including:
  • Flop Texture
  • Number of players seeing flop
  • Your position relative to villain
  • Your perceived range
  • Your actual holding
  • Villan(s)' range
  • Villain's stats (e.g. Fold to Cbet, Check-raise, AF)
  • Stack sizes

Against a standard TAG on this flop, I would CBet basically 100% of my range here.
  • Flop Texture: Pretty dry - He might have a club draw but that's relatively unlikely
  • No. Players seeing flop: Since you're heads-up, that's the easiest spot to CBet
  • Position: We're in position so it is much easier to respond to any aggression he might show.
  • Perceived range: We raised UTG and a TAG will be aware of this, so our range seems pretty strong.
  • Actual Holding & Villain's Range: TT is likely to be the best hand most of the time. We are only behind Kx, JJ (unlikely QQ-AA since he didn't 3Bet), 44 and 22. This is a relatively small part of Villain's calling range.
  • Stats: TAGs like to fold when they aren't the aggressor.
  • Stack sizes: You're both plenty deep enough to make CBetting worthwhile.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 10:14 AM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
I agree, vs. a standard TAG reg I'm c-betting most of the time here.

Here's a follow up question for you: If the TAG reg check/raises us on this flop, how should we proceed? (hint: range him, remembering to include all actions he's taken in the hand)

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 03:29 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
I agree, vs. a standard TAG reg I'm c-betting most of the time here.

Here's a follow up question for you: If the TAG reg check/raises us on this flop, how should we proceed? (hint: range him, remembering to include all actions he's taken in the hand)
Fold - he has a ton of PPs in his pre-flop calling range including 44 and 22. TAG regs don't normally choose to bluff OOP against a UTG raiser when a K turns up.

Old
Sun Dec 01, 2013, 01:31 PM
(#8)
If I would put myself in the villains shoes, I would have a super small calling range in the SB vs a TAG UTG Open here. Something like TT to QQ and AQ suited and AK. I might call pairs like 88 and 99 sometimes but I would almost never setmine with small pocket pairs here. Think the only reason to call with a bit more speculative hands like small PP and maybe suited broadway connectors is that the BB is not full stacked, so he might be weaker and he might come along too.

Having said that, I think many regs can show up with 44 and 22 here and since the board hits our range pretty well, I think it would be more likely a value XR with a set than some semibluff with QJ of clubs or some hand like that. There are more combos of sets as well than the few FDs he might call pre with. So I would fold.

Old
Sun Dec 01, 2013, 02:18 PM
(#9)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by almigthybald View Post
and since the board hits our range pretty well
What are your stats? Define your range to open, then evaluate... while it's a good flop for us to rep, how well does it actually hit our range? As in top pair or better?

Assuming you're opening tight UTG, your range is probably something like this: 77+,A8s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KJo+(12.7%) since you described yourself as a TAG.

Top Pair+: AA, KK, AK, KQo, KJo, KQs, KJs KTs (48 combos)
Flush draws without top pair: AQ-A8c, QJc, QTc, JTc (8 combos)
Second Pair or worse: QQ-77, AQo-ATo, AQs/h/d-A8s/h/d, QJs/h/d, QTs/h/d, JTs/h/d (108 combos)

This is a good board to c-bet because players can easily put us on AK and it's hard for the villain to hit, but in terms of it being a flop that actually hits our range well? We flop 2nd pair or worse 108/164 (roughly 2/3rds) of the time. Some food for thought.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com