Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Zoom, calling a 3bet shove from short & midstackers

Old
Zoom, calling a 3bet shove from short & midstackers - Sun Dec 01, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
In this hand I decided to call and setmine because V6 was a reg who folded a lot to 3bets PF but didn't like to fold on later streets.

And then I got a shove from midstack regular who is aggro PF and is capable of doing it light.

Regardless of result, was this a good call and what should be a minimum hand strenght to make this kind of call against a shortstacker or someone with full stack without a strong read.

Maybe it's possible to get a live training session about playing against shortstackers as this was basically a tilt call because of them.

Last edited by MintDeal; Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 10:51 AM..

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 12:19 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Mint,

I would generally just fold vs. a 64bb shove here, but I think it's pretty close with TT. If you think he's shoving wide then calling off is fine. For this price our break even point is 46.8% equity.

If he's shoving a range of 99+, AJs+, AQo+, then our equity with TT is just under 45%. Here's some other hands and their equity vs. that range:

JJ: 50.6%
QQ: 58.6%
AKo: 49.8%
AQs: 40.7%
99: 38.4%

This should give you some idea. The wider they are shoving, the wider we can call off but generally it's ok to call off a bit tighter than you might otherwise think vs. these guys.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 05:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
Thank You Dave,

I usually fold here also and call QQ+ and thought myself that this call was horrific. Now looking back, I should have 3bet pre, having a squeeze happy medium stack behind me. And then already 5bet shove against his almost 10% 4bet range with less than 50% premium on SD over 2K hands.

Now I can hope that maybe as 4tabling regular, he has a note on me, that I'm able to call off his shove light and will tighten up his range. As I have note on him, that I did it and next time I won't do it so weak. Or maybe it's too much to hope from 10NL.

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 09:59 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
I would rarely fold here with TT. I've seen them showup with enough junk that I believe you'll be +EV to call.

It's also very rarely KK or AA.

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 10:40 AM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
It's also very rarely KK or AA.
I'm actually seeing this player type take the overbet shove line with their AA/KK hands all the time. No it doesn't make sense, but they do it often enough that I can't agree with this statement.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 11:39 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
^^ Just from my experiences Dave.

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 12:16 PM
(#7)
I don't always agree with birdayy, but this one I do
By just calling a raise, it looks like we want to see a flop, so the small blind shoves to scare us away.
1) I often see the small blind do this
2) If he did have AA, KK or even QQ, for value betting, he would 3Bet to about $1. Shoving will only get him $0.60 if they all fold, not really good value for those cards.
3) So often a player will shove AK, AQ thinking they can have us fold with 50% winner
4) any pocket pairs will beat AK, AQ in % pre flop

Maybe at higher stakes, you see these less often (but they do exist), so I'll be calling every time.

PS. Good call Mint

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 02:47 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2013
sorry dave with sand on this 1 n call mint

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 03:03 PM
(#9)
(Head Trainer)
Don't be sorry... even I said it's close and I've assigned a much tighter range than birdayy or sandtrap. If you think the villain is shoving a bunch of junk, and not shoving QQ-AA, then of course you should (fist pump) call. I've no disagreement with that, I'm simply not tracking with the ranging.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 03:30 PM
(#10)
Hey Dave,

Few little question
If you were in the SB position with AA or KK, wouldn't you play it for value? I don't think you would shove. So, how do YOU determine a range of a player? What would be some of your criteria in this case with no info? (stack size? position? regular player? etc)
Would you of 3Bet with TT?

Thanks

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 03:40 PM
(#11)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Hey Dave,

Few little question
If you were in the SB position with AA or KK, wouldn't you play it for value? I don't think you would shove. So, how do YOU determine a range of a player? What would be some of your criteria in this case with no info? (stack size? position? regular player? etc)
Would you of 3Bet with TT?

Thanks
No, I think jamming with AA/KK is not optimal, but I wouldn't be playing a 64bb stack either so I expect such a player to probably be doing sub-optimal things:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
I'm actually seeing this player type take the overbet shove line with their AA/KK hands all the time. No it doesn't make sense, but they do it often enough that I can't agree with this statement.
Regarding 3-betting TT, obviously it's situational... here vs this opener as described I think flatting with TT in position is the clear best play.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 07:32 PM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
At my experiences at 10NL - the few times you get to see what these 50BB all-in junkies have, it is normally the lower end of what might be called "premium" e.g. 99-QQ, AJs-AK. However there is a fair bit of complete junk and a significant number of AA and KK also that I have seen.

I always take a note when I see someone 3Bet shove - if they are doing this regularly then it is probably fair to assume that they are not doing it with AA or KK all the time.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com