Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Player notes!!

Old
Player notes!! - Tue Dec 03, 2013, 01:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
What should i be doing as far as note taking goes with players. I play more MTT than cash and sometimes get lost in the game i forget to take notes. Even when i do im not generally sure what the key things to be noting about players, i normally only mark ridiculously "fishy" players, or seriously "good" players with only what is within the " ". Is there any kind of guideline or structure to go about doing this? what are the key things i should be looking to note?

Old
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 04:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
At the start I done the same as you so although basic it is a start.

I mainly take notes on what players play and in what position but also things that go against common play. I won't note if someone raises AA in any position but I would note "AA L on B with 3 in pot". Non standard hands like "52o r mp" and things like fancy moves "cr flopped set". I colour code players according to pre flop aggression, dark blue is "loose passive calling station". I change my colour codes as players change. Loose passives may actually be loose maniacs it's just that they haven't hit any part of their wide raising range yet.

I know others' take notes differently but make as many notes as you can because you WILL come across these players again even though Stars has a massive player pool.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Ovalman; Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 11:08 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I don't take too many notes during tournaments as so many actions are stack size and blind dependant.

The only notes I regularly take are the hands of people that go all-in preflop in the first level or two.

I take much more detailed notes in cash games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 11:49 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I take notes on everyone that I can. I'm looking for anything that is out of line (limping big pairs, playing every ace, playing all suited cards, abnormal bet sizes, etc). Anything that can be a tell for their range or how they play certain hand types.

ex: if I note that is playing every ace, then when an A hits the board, I better be able to beat a pair of aces or I can't continue in the hand.
OR
if an opp always limps small pairs, then bets big on a low board, they most likely have a set, so if I can't beat the set, I need to fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_My_Aces View Post
What should i be doing as far as note taking goes with players. I play more MTT than cash and sometimes get lost in the game i forget to take notes. Even when i do im not generally sure what the key things to be noting about players, i normally only mark ridiculously "fishy" players, or seriously "good" players with only what is within the " ". Is there any kind of guideline or structure to go about doing this? what are the key things i should be looking to note?
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ve-Note-Taking

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 03:17 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_My_Aces View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post

Shameless self-promotion (aka "big pymping it fo' shizzle") FTW!!!

In all seriousness though,that link is the answer to your questions Miss_My_Aces. Dave's stuff is deadly info.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com