Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

55 oop play against one villain

Old
55 oop play against one villain - Tue Dec 03, 2013, 10:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013

In this hand, I decided to play my pocket 5s from EP because the table had been pretty passive and I could at least try to c-bet the flop and take the pot. I got two callers instead of one. No read on the villains except the table had been really passive up to that point.

I flopped a wheel draw, and had second pair, so I c-bet the flop and one villain called. After that I chose to slow down, because he might have an A and I'm sort of trying to stop myself from calling even when I think the opponent might be bluffing. My draw was pretty hidden, but he was short-stacked, so I am thinking I should have folded on the turn when he bet after I checked to him, but for some reason I decided to call and "cheer" for a 5 or a 4, which didn't come and I had to fold on the river. It was an obvious fold on the turn, right? I kind of know that, but my question here is whether the decision to open lighter from EP on a pretty passive table was bad and same thing about my c-bet on the flop.

I thought that his range definitely had aces, on the turn maybe even jacks, but I was drawing to a stronger hand with either a 4 or a 5. I don't believe he'd have a backdoor flush draw in this case because the flop was rainbow and it wouldn't make sense for him to call. So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Old
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 10:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I would x/f the flop there not deep enough to draw to anything and there not ever folding, as for the turn its a fold hes got no money behind for if you do hit.

Old
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 11:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Fold turn. The price we are getting is terrible to draw and we have no implied odds if we hit since he has $0.35 behind.

Old
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 07:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
I don't mind the odd raise from EP with a pocket pair for variety. If you think the table is playing pretty passive, this play makes even more sense.

I would just check/fold on the flop though. For the same reason you a drawing for the wheel, a 5 may be a dirty out for you so your equity in the hand is probably even worse than you assessed.

As played, I would fold, as I think you perfectly well know!

Old
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 09:05 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
I check-fold flop. C-bet bluffing into 2 players when OOP is basically burning money. Definitely check-fold turn. Most of the time, villain has an ace and he's not giving you odds to call with your draw.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 04, 2013, 06:23 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
Certainly debatable flop bet. If we are betting, the flop will be the only street I would bet and I'm just shutting down when called especially from the player right behind us because they would almost certainly always have an Ace when there is one player left to act behind them. So because I'm only betting once I'm gonna size it slightly bigger OTF to maximize fold equity from PPs below TP. I x/f turn.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com