Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Help for beginner pls!

Old
Help for beginner pls! - Wed Dec 04, 2013, 03:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
Hi guys,

I've started playing poker today. I'm 21 years old and have never played it before in my life.

I'm trying to understand this game, but I really don't.

I've checked out some videos but they were all over my head.

All the lingo jargon and slang, I've never heard of these terms!

Can you help me or direct me to some software or site that can teach me?

Thx very much, I bet you get these questions a lot I'm sorry if I offended you.

Cheers

Old
Wed Dec 04, 2013, 03:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

John (JWK24)

The place that you will want to start is the Poker Basic Course information. It is the very beginning for playing poker.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I know this game can overwhelm you when you first start. My suggestion, do the lessons at your pace. When you think you have the basics, try out your lessons on the freeroll games and the play money games. Don't get fixated on winning while learning. The objective is learn first.

For example, once you have an idea regarding what the lessons say is a good hand, practice. Play a few SNG games in the play money section. 9-player action at first. You are not interested in winning, but seeing which hands the other players consider good. Learn from these hands. Just remember that sometimes the best two-card hand will lose.

As your confidence grows and you start understanding the lingo, try playing to win. Examine your hands and see what you are doing wrong. Be honest with the man in the mirror.

Hardest lesson for me in the start was restraint. I played over 80% of the hands. The lessons say 20% is best. It took me time, but I did get that percentage down.

Online you can keep records. Do it. You'll learn a lot doing that. I don't mean track every stat, just the one you are working on first. Playing percentage is in that stat box, punch the numbers into a spreadsheet and you will improve.

Above all, be humble. We are hear to learn too, so don't be afraid to ask questions. We all were new at some point.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com