Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

£30 Double Chance Live MTT - AKo facing shove

Old
£30 Double Chance Live MTT - AKo facing shove - Thu Dec 05, 2013, 07:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
This is a hand taken from a live MTT that I played last night.

It was a £30 tournament with one re-entry, the re-entry would get you 18K chips.

Twenty runners. (9-handed tables)

We are still in the rebuy period and both villain and hero still could take their re-entry.

I've just moved to this table but the villain seems aggressive, unsure if tight or loose - he has played something like 2 out of the 5 hands I've seen.

Blinds 300/600 No ante

CO: Hero - 21K (AKo)
BB: Villain - 17K.

Preflop - action is folded to me and I raise to 1500. Villain shoves all-in. I called.

What should I do here? If this was not in the rebuy, I would be tempted to fold as I think this play is most likely with something like 55-QQ where I'm behind. He would probably just call with worse pocket pairs and raise smaller with AA/KK.

However with the possibility of the re-entry still available, I felt that I was getting good equity anyway and if I lose I would still be in the tournament and could re-enter.

Is my thought process correct in both scenarios?

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 07:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Snapcall in both scenarios.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 10:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi spand,

It's a pretty big shove, 28bb's over a 2.5x open, but I think it's a call. Players that are aggro tend to make more bad shoves live, and also don't necessarily understand the sizing they are using because they don't have the numbers directly in front of them like online, they just have stacks of chips. And since he can still take his re-entry, I would expect that can only add to his shoving range as a willingness to gamble for a stack, not take away from his range. I would expect him to have some worse aces in here as well as the pocket pairs.

Additionally, you didn't give info on the structure, but every small buy in live mtt I've ever played that wasn't a home game, had a fast/bad structure, meaning a more pressing need to take intelligent gambles to try and accumulate chips.

Given these facts, and that we have our re-entry left, I would not consider folding any premium hand JJ+/AK with our stack size.

If this were a freeze out (no reentry), it's closer as that may reduce some of the loose shoves from villain's range, but in a fast/bad structure I'm still taking this spot.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
I can only agree with the previous replies.
I don't believe we can ever fold AK there.
Although we are mostly flipping vs their range (which at a re-entry tournament is not bad at all), villain could end up with random Ax spewaments.
If it wasn't a re-entry, you could consider folding and wait for a much better spot.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 05:29 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Additionally, you didn't give info on the structure, but every small buy in live mtt I've ever played that wasn't a home game, had a fast/bad structure, meaning a more pressing need to take intelligent gambles to try and accumulate chips.
30 minute levels, up to 300/600 then 20 minute levels after that. The structure is pretty fast but nowhere near as bad as a lot of local tournaments that I've entered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamblingProp View Post
Although we are mostly flipping vs their range (which at a re-entry tournament is not bad at all), villain could end up with random Ax spewaments.
This was basically my thought process - I'm glad I made the right decision.

As it turned out I won a 4-way chop for £235 and am going to treat myself to a shot at a £220 two-day tournament, with a deep stack and decent blind levels

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com