Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

what do you do to combat running bad

Old
what do you do to combat running bad - Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
Here goes the story so far the last 2 days i have been running so bad at times i have just cut my session short out of sheer frustration. I'm talking flopping top set and getting called by 2 overs and they hit runner runner for a straight or flush, under pairs hitting straights, AK beaten by Ax on A high flop.

i have been crushing the 45man sng lately with a 35+% roi and even with the running so bad i haven't been losing the last couple of days only breaking even which i know should be seen as a good thing and i should be happy that my downswing isnt losing me money but it is costing me volume of games played.

so i ask you how do you keep the will to live when running so bad?

do you just have to keep plugging away and wait for the tide to turn? or do you take a break so that you dont notice the beats as much?

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I take a break.....but most of all......l understand that bad runs happen,

Pretty simple really.......hiccup

Cheers All

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 10:17 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Don't think about individual results but rather focus on the overall results ie you 35% ROI and the fact that even though you ran bad you still broke even.

Have to agree with Effsea if its in your head then a break is a good plan. Post the hand in a blog and forget all about it.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 10:25 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahboiiiii View Post
Here goes the story so far the last 2 days i have been running so bad at times i have just cut my session short out of sheer frustration. I'm talking flopping top set and getting called by 2 overs and they hit runner runner for a straight or flush, under pairs hitting straights, AK beaten by Ax on A high flop.

i have been crushing the 45man sng lately with a 35+% roi and even with the running so bad i haven't been losing the last couple of days only breaking even which i know should be seen as a good thing and i should be happy that my downswing isnt losing me money but it is costing me volume of games played.

so i ask you how do you keep the will to live when running so bad?

do you just have to keep plugging away and wait for the tide to turn? or do you take a break so that you dont notice the beats as much?
Interesting, 35% ROI, two days running bad is nothing. I have ran bad for two days, but still managed to grind out a couple of small results, this is by sticking to your game and not altering because of downswings.
The downswings will be a lot longer if you try to adjust your game, to combat variance. I tried this for years, it does not work.

Stick to your game and ride the wave. Take the good advice from the other posts to have a break between games.

GL

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:20 PM
(#5)
Are you making good decisions still?

If so, keep grinding it out. If not, take a break and get your mind cleared.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:56 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
Running bad at times in the last 2 days is not "running bad."

For example, I've hit the board with AK twice in the last two months, both times I got crushed by people playing 92o and T2o. Time and again I get those eternal 567 or 568 flops, where everybody in the hand has a straight apart from me.
That's running bad.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:59 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
Are you making good decisions still?

If so, keep grinding it out. If not, take a break and get your mind cleared.
+1

Make sure you take a look at the losing hands and be sure that it's variance and not a misplay that costs me the pot is the first thing I do.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:00 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2012
I tend to curl up in a ball and cry.

After I've stopped that I get back to the tables and just continue trying to make the right decisions. Last month was a hard month and this month hasn't started out great either. I just have to suck it up.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:44 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
Profit is profit is profit. You're running +35% ROI and want to NOT PLAY? A couple days of breaking even within a bigger subset of +35% results is so insignificant as to be meaningless. UNLESS you've changed things up and that's why you've arrived at this number the last two days,but from your post I'm not seeing you say that this is the case.

I'd be increasing tables were that the case (after reviewing my sessions to make sure that the results were based on good decisions and not actually,contrary to what my lying mind and/or ego are telling me,run good...).

You better lose this mindset post haste,as there is no run of cold cards that could be more damaging than being so fixated on a few bad results in the big picture (which IS what we're talking about if you're +35%,come on...).

I would suggest running a free HUD trial (HEM or PT4) and looking at your actual results versus your expected EV line,+35% I highly doubt you're running as bad as you think,if at all. It's not impossible,but it's unlikely. You show me a player graph that's a smooth line upwards,with no valleys here and there,and I'm calling "photoshopped shenanigans".

Wait until you see some actual real run bad (blank 20+ 45 man's in a row is one short term one I can think of,since you brought up a 2 day hiccup here) and get back to us then.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Dec 05, 2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 03:28 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2013
Beat the wife, kick the kids.

Crack open a bottle of Jim Beam and listen to some George Jones.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 03:34 PM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
Buy the wife something nice, give your pet a treat......

Crack open a bottle of Jim Beam and listen to some George Jones......hiccup

Cheers All

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 03:41 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2013
....my glass is always half empty effsea, yours is always half full, meh....

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 03:45 PM
(#13)
Since: Nov 2013
having took a break for a few hours i decided that i would go back and review the last 2 days to see if i had changed from my normal game, its pretty much the same as i had been playing and not much has changed apart from understanding the format of 45man turbos better which is a plus.

i realise the turbos do have an element of luck about them in that to win you need to have your hands hold up at times, but i find there alot more about playing the 18th-8th bubble play without fear and to widen your range in the right spots which is something im good at and thats why im able to make profit playing them. also playing heads up aggressive is a sure fire way to beat most players at this level when the time comes (currently 24/13 w/l heads up). also not playing for min cashes unless your card dead when so low that you have to be called by BB is the way to go with these. i have got to know a few of the regs and when to avoid there raises and when to exploit them (most are pretty bad at $1.50).

normally i play between 7-9 tables which is prefect for me as its not to few that i get bored and look for other things to do while playing and not too many that i can't keep tabs on players. as for swings my worst so far would be around 25-30 buyins with only 1 min cash in there but then i have had a couple of really nice swings in my favour playing pretty much flawless and cashing all nine tables i open at the start of a session.

i will keep on grinding out the sngs as there easy money and easy to multitable without been at a massive disadvantage i normally play around 70 a day at the moment as theres not much work on at uni for me at the moment and with christmas around the corner i will have even more spare time so i should be in a good place to set some goals for next year with a decent sample size built up to set a realistic target.

as moxie suggested i took a look at actual and expected EV line and im not running quite as bas as it seems only around $45 behind (30 buy ins) which isnt too bad on the whole.

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
(#14)
Since: Feb 2012
Two days hahaha that's nothing pal and i think you are lucky becouse varience is even higher in turbos, i play 90 and 180 man 1 to 2,50 dollars regular sit and goes plus all the morning regular big field mtt's you wanna see a real downswing check this graph out hahahahaha just pray to the poker goods that you don't hit a downswing like this hahaha ohhh and it will probably be a sample of 1000 tournaments and sng by tommorow, the key is good bankroll management.Good luck

https://imageshack.com/i/5muu3op

Last edited by RomeWu; Fri Dec 13, 2013 at 07:00 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com