Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL FR: proper way of playing top pair here?

Old
Question
2NL FR: proper way of playing top pair here? - Thu Dec 05, 2013, 04:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013

Should I have folded my J10 after his reraise nevertheless I was committed to the pot or was it a proper play even though I thought he had either two pair or a ready straight?
I played maybe 10-20 hands with him and all I know is that he was limping and calling bets preflop pretty often.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 05:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I think you played the hand fine.

Your big problem is starting off with a short stack - you're often going to find yourself in tough spots where you are pot committed with vulnerable holdings. You also won't be able to maximise full value when you do get a monster hand.

Ideally you should be bankrolled in order to buy in and auto-top up for a full 100BB stack, that way you can more easily get away from a relatively weak Top pair hand like you have here.

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 01:04 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Fung,

Considering that you're starting with a very short stack, I wouldn't steal preflop here with JTo unless you had reads that the 3 players behind were tight/fold a lot.

Once you flop top pair, I'm generally looking to set up getting my stack in on most turn cards, so I would bet bigger on the flop both for value and protection, and to set up a good turn shove size. If we bet .15c for example and get called, there'll be .48 in the pot and .45 to shove the turn. I would even go for a full pot sized .18c, which sets up a pot of .54c with .42 behind to shove on the turn when called.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 04:30 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2013
Thank you guys very much! I had this inadequate stack size only because of some bankroll issues at that moment, but I won't be doing that again.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com