Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Psychology Problem: Multi-tabling vs. getting bored

Old
Psychology Problem: Multi-tabling vs. getting bored - Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
Hi. I was trying to look for a psychology section but can't find one so I think I'll post my situation here.

I play 5nl, mostly zoom.

My problem is I think I multi-table too much playing 4 tables at a time which costs me lots of big pots because sometimes I already forget what has really gone preflop and can't analyze the hand very well.

Then I tried to just play with lesser tables, e.g. 2 tables. Now, the problem I got is that I get too bored at times with the lesser action thus at times making me play / or overplaying my marginal hands/spots.

To try and help my game and focus, I tried playing with a timer and forcing my self to get off the table after playing 15 minutes, I adjust depending on my current state to focus on the game.

Any thoughts and advise possibly?

Thanks.

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 10:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi kalahwang,

I'm not expert on the psychological side of things but I know someone who is. Jared Tendler, author of The Mental Game of Poker (when he gets the chance) answers our members question in this thread here. I think you should check it out and see if it helps.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 05, 2013, 10:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
When you are not in a hand, observe the table.

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 02:00 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahwang View Post
Hi. I was trying to look for a psychology section but can't find one so I think I'll post my situation here.

I play 5nl, mostly zoom.

My problem is I think I multi-table too much playing 4 tables at a time which costs me lots of big pots because sometimes I already forget what has really gone preflop and can't analyze the hand very well.

Then I tried to just play with lesser tables, e.g. 2 tables. Now, the problem I got is that I get too bored at times with the lesser action thus at times making me play / or overplaying my marginal hands/spots.

To try and help my game and focus, I tried playing with a timer and forcing my self to get off the table after playing 15 minutes, I adjust depending on my current state to focus on the game.

Thanks.
I have highlighted your post , your own words answer the question. You get bored playing less tables,
Bored been the key element . You need a passion for poker, every single game , whether it be multi table or a single table, the mindset should be focused on the game/games you play.

Why the rush to play a hand?, ask yourself this, will poker still be there tommorrow?

Poker is about disipline, if you are bored , it is obviously not the right time to play.

If you ca not focus on 4 tables e.t.c., play zoom, that was created for fast pace action junkies.

Its all about the calm........patience is required.

If you feel like you are getting bored in a game, try sitting out for a while, if you can not get over this, I suggest that maybe poker is not for you if you get bored.

Bored is apart of tilts many forms.

It is currently 7 a.m here UK time, I have been playing most of the night, bored does not come into it when there is cash involved. I am considering starting another game, but sense tells me I would be a graveyard player. Passion,passion,passion, you have to want it, and have toput in the effort to succeed.

Think cash and not action every hand, the wait is worth the kill.

GL hope my gibberish helps....

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 05:41 AM
(#5)
sometimes you get to realize your own mistakes more if people tell you upfront.

i'm quite a busy person working two jobs, but I love playing poker that's why I always try to find time to play. I think I have a lot of patience since I used to play a lot of chess.

It could be i'm too tired at times when I am playing and not on the best state of mind.

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 05:52 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:

If you are forgetting what has happened preflop on a regular basis - then you are playing too many tables.

When choosing how many tables to play there is going to be a tradeoff. The more tables you play, you should be less distracted and if you are a solid winning player, you should be able to increase your profits simply by the extra volume you will be getting.

However the downsides include quicker fatigue, losing track of hands, timing out, starting to play "automatically". When you multi-table, you should accept that your winrate per table will decrease due to all these factors.

You have to try and make the calculation if your overall winrate will increase by playing extra tables or if the costs of multi-tabling are so high that your overall winrate decreases.

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 05:56 AM
(#7)
You might be interested to find out what I do: I play 10NL 6Max Zoom.

When I play sessions during the day (British time), I find that I can 6-table quite comfortably (four 10NL tables and two 5NL tables) because the play seems to be more straightforward, people play more ABC poker and are generally tighter.

However when I play in the evenings, I find 6-tabling to be impossible because the action is generally looser, randomly aggressive and you get lots of strange plays. Therefore I find that 4-tables is the max I can do, I even sometimes cut down to 3 when a lot of the players online have had s few too many to drink and are playing hands in a really strange way.

When players are giving away their money, it is worth ensuring you figure out how best to extract their money in the face of random shoves or bizarre lines which you can't do when distracted by too many tables.

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 06:11 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2013
I believe you shouldn't play when you aren't in a great state of mind or tired.
And if you decide to play it should be for fun and at lower stakes, since you will obviously won't be at your A-game.
I usually also forget lines taken from villains when I am multi-tabling, and when it happens I either reduce the number of tables or I just quit.
As for the boredom statement, I will not accept it from someone who used to play chess.

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 06:30 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamblingProp View Post
As for the boredom statement, I will not accept it from someone who used to play chess.
I'm still a very active chess player and while some chess games can undoubtedly be very boring, most chess games are so complex and interesting that does make playing poker (particularly live poker) very boring when you have to fold ten hands in a row because you keep getting garbage.

Chess games can last up to 7 hours (although more normal is 3 or 4 hours) so long periods of concentration are required. However when I play chess, I often take timeouts away from the board not really thinking about the game at all, just to reboot and take a rest. I also now do this with my online sessions, I try to take a few minutes out every hour or so just to re-energise and re-focus on playing good poker!

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 07:01 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
most chess games are so complex and interesting that does make playing poker (particularly live poker) very boring when you have to fold ten hands in a row because you keep getting garbage.
This is totally how I feel. I only get bored playing chess against a computer opponent, not too much against humans.

Quote:
I believe you shouldn't play when you aren't in a great state of mind or tired.
And if you decide to play it should be for fun and at lower stakes, since you will obviously won't be at your A-game.
Good advise. Made me think that I should switch limits based on my condition. 'Coz when I get tired, I still want to play poker but notices my eyes starting to close down on me

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 08:50 AM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
Hi kalahwang

You should not try to carry on playing zoom poker or any form of poker when you are tired, as hard as it is and I know myself my friend, you need to stop!
"
You cannot expect to earn money in the long term playing "bored" or "tired"

Look at it this way, If your tired then how do you know when a player is doing nothing more than trying to exploit you?

If your bored is that hand your holding really as good as your opps?

Now lets add bored to a couple of bad beats, are you now feeling tilt?

My friend your a chess player, apply the same logic to your pregame poker play as you do in chess.

Ex chess club player here and my bro holdemace.

Set yourself a check list, if your tired or board then play for free chips, its costs nothing like a game of chess.

Save your money for when your up for it

Gl my friend. pp72

Last edited by PokerPest72; Fri Dec 06, 2013 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: oops

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 09:56 AM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2012
Quote:

I play 5nl, mostly zoom.

Thanks.
So play 3?

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 11:46 AM
(#13)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
When you are not in a hand, observe the table.
.........and take notes

put your self in villains shoes what would you be folding here what would you be happy to call with, Did that flop help their range or have they whiffed ect ect.

are they positionally aware or are they just playing their cards?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 07, 2013, 12:40 AM
(#14)
Quote:
So play 3?
.. I did try this. experimented a bit and now found that only two table is most optimal for me at the moment. Just have to force myself to be focused and enjoy the action on 2 tables of zoom.

Come to think of it again after reflecting, maybe my problem is not boredom. Because if I am truly bored, I would rather not play poker and do other things. Right?

It could be on my current state at those moments that I am just too tired (plus my mental state) is not good enough to play good poker and thus easily losing my focus.

hmm...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com