Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1 -180 man almost blew itm.

Old
$1 -180 man almost blew itm. - Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi, I was just logging out of online training and not paying full attention when this happened.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=A64FEBB16C

This was around ITM bubble positions, thoughts please on the button caller?

I however some how managed to make a fight back and made final table.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=718E7D6D82

Defending my blind for value of the pot, was this a good idea with K7, in live training Dave showed a hand that raised K7 in the small blind to steal the BB.

Is it ok to defend the BB with K7 when you have ranged the opps a bit wide ranges?

I finally finished in 3rd losing with AQ to something like 54 lol, but was seriously outchipped so expected the call.

Last edited by holdemace486; Thu Dec 05, 2013 at 11:36 PM..

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
For the first hand without specific reads I think this is pretty standard, I would have done the same.

Hate everything about the second hand. You are way to short to be defending against an open and a caller. If I was going to play any hand then I would be shoving preflop.

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 01:24 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi HEA,

First hand seems standard to me too, we should be well enough ahead of both of their ranges, and the flat caller probably has a fair bit of hands in his range we crush like mid pairs and AQ/AJ.

Second hand I don't like... we start with a 10 bb stack and are facing a cut of open raise and button flat call from the big stack. We don't really have enough chips to squeeze shove and expect fold equity, and although you haven't given reads, I'd expect the cut off's range not to be too wide in general given the mountain of chips sitting in position on him. If we do decide to defend by calling, which I think is very marginal 3 handed with this short a stack, then my plan would be to go with any connection to the flop. That would be any pair or draw, even a gutter with overs like 345 rainbow. We have 6315 left and there's 5725 in the middle, so just shove. If our 2nd pair is good right now, it's so vulnerable, and the chips in the pot so valuable to our stack... we don't want to give both of them a cheap shot to peel and with a flop shove may get them to fold a slightly better hand like A7/88, or a hand with decent equity like JT/J8. Don't start playing limit hold'em at a time when we can most benefit from the NL nature of the game to apply pressure.

As an aside, V8's turn play is hilarious. He min-raises which accomplishes absolutely nothing. I would have guessed this was a hand like 9x or 44 trying to build the pot without chasing you guys off, or some kind of draw. Yet the river card should have given him a winner if on the draw, but your 7 is still good. A good example of why these $1 games are so beatable.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 02:28 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi HEA,

First hand seems standard to me too, we should be well enough ahead of both of their ranges, and the flat caller probably has a fair bit of hands in his range we crush like mid pairs and AQ/AJ.

Second hand I don't like... we start with a 10 bb stack and are facing a cut of open raise and button flat call from the big stack. We don't really have enough chips to squeeze shove and expect fold equity, and although you haven't given reads, I'd expect the cut off's range not to be too wide in general given the mountain of chips sitting in position on him. If we do decide to defend by calling, which I think is very marginal 3 handed with this short a stack, then my plan would be to go with any connection to the flop. That would be any pair or draw, even a gutter with overs like 345 rainbow. We have 6315 left and there's 5725 in the middle, so just shove. If our 2nd pair is good right now, it's so vulnerable, and the chips in the pot so valuable to our stack... we don't want to give both of them a cheap shot to peel and with a flop shove may get them to fold a slightly better hand like A7/88, or a hand with decent equity like JT/J8. Don't start playing limit hold'em at a time when we can most benefit from the NL nature of the game to apply pressure.

As an aside, V8's turn play is hilarious. He min-raises which accomplishes absolutely nothing. I would have guessed this was a hand like 9x or 44 trying to build the pot without chasing you guys off, or some kind of draw. Yet the river card should have given him a winner if on the draw, but your 7 is still good. A good example of why these $1 games are so beatable.

Thank you Dave for your time, I did consider shoving on the flop when I connected. I then decided to small bet to try induce a shove from the bigger stack which I had planned on calling.

It however went a bit wrong,the turn came I knew,had the feeling my 7 was still good.

I was hoping someone would represent the nine which I think the villain tried to by making myself look weak.

However you are right and I could of easily been sucked out on the river and maybe if i shove the flop I still get a call and more value maybe.

Thanks Dave see you at training

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com