Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

56s 2NL Six Max OTB v Supernova

Old
56s 2NL Six Max OTB v Supernova - Sat Dec 07, 2013, 07:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Just wanting to check my line on this hand. I was against a Supernova, which I know doesnt mean he is good (Or even competent), but it probably means he is used to grinding at higher levels of cash or Tournaments etc.

I open 56s from the button, the Supernova has a huge 3bet % (34.8) so I am absolutely taking in a flop in position, expecting to miss most of the time.

I flop extremely well, hitting two pair and bet out when he checks to me, his post flop aggression is quite low. Something like 1.2. I lead out on turn and river. He calls turn but shoves river over my lead.

From the minute he 3bet I felt he was going to try and take it away at some point.

I'm behind sets, 55/66 are unlikely because of card removal, but 77/33 is much more possible (Though 33 is maybe a bit hopeful when getting to the river) and he would certainly be 3betting that pre. I'm behind 89o/89s/75o/75s/76s/76o on the flop but I am ahead of a lot of other hands he is in there with.

I absolutely snap-called on the river because I thought at some point he would try and bully me off my hand. This is almost exclusively because of his Supernova status I have to admit but also the 3bet % is insanely high. His aggression is low but it is there.

Should I be folding river?

Old
Sat Dec 07, 2013, 07:10 AM
(#2)
I'm actually not being fair on myself here. I probably downplayed the amount of influence his extreme pre-flop aggression had on my view of him. His Supernova status did have some influence too though.

Old
Sat Dec 07, 2013, 08:36 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
I'm not sure I like the call preflop, I'd rather have a bigger SC 98s+ given that our opponent is very aggressive and will put alot of pressure on us. with a hand like 65s we will see alot of overcards and we will be playing for a weak end of the straight or FD. A 34% 3bet is pretty ridiculous, are we sure we have atleast 50 hands on them?

With that, I think we have to call the river. I don't see too many strong hands x/c this flop. So his hand looks like a bluff catcher trying to keep the pot small. AK/AQ, 7x,6x. But then they lead shove river?? Oh wow K6, I'm not sure what they were thinking there but more reason to make the call with 2pair in a 3bet pot after we have invested 35% of our stack.

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 10:46 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
I'm not sure I like the call preflop, I'd rather have a bigger SC 98s+ given that our opponent is very aggressive and will put alot of pressure on us. with a hand like 65s we will see alot of overcards and we will be playing for a weak end of the straight or FD. A 34% 3bet is pretty ridiculous, are we sure we have atleast 50 hands on them?

With that, I think we have to call the river. I don't see too many strong hands x/c this flop. So his hand looks like a bluff catcher trying to keep the pot small. AK/AQ, 7x,6x. But then they lead shove river?? Oh wow K6, I'm not sure what they were thinking there but more reason to make the call with 2pair in a 3bet pot after we have invested 35% of our stack.
That's the thing, he couldnt really put all that much pressure on me really, if I totally missed the flop I am going to check/fold a decent amount of the time. If I smashed the flop in the way that I did (I know it wasnt the actual nuts I had but I considered it to be almost the nuts given his range) I was happy to get the money in unless there was a ridiculous board run out.

I guess what I am saying is that the hand was probably high variance but that I was happy to accept that given how the session had gone (That shouldnt always matter but I felt I was reading the action pretty well in order for the session to have gone well).

Against a lot of players I will be folding the hand pre.

I have 61 hands on him BTW. Still a small sample but more than enough to show that he was being aggro pre-flop to a stupid extent.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com