Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Could use a few tips for moving up in stakes (2NL to 5NL)

Old
Could use a few tips for moving up in stakes (2NL to 5NL) - Sat Dec 07, 2013, 11:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011

(~9bb/100, 13.3/8.98/2.19)

So I deposited 10$ and this is the result after 50k hands at full ring 2NL. I am still not sure that I got 2NL all figured out.
My bank roll sits at the moment at ~110$, my plan is to grind up to 200$ and give 5NL a shot. Hopefully 40BI will be enough to hold my ground against variation.

Now I come to you because I feel somewhat uncomfortable about the prospect of moving to 5NL, and I fear that this will affect my gameplay.
Maybe you can share some advices, or you got some tips about 5nl?

Thanks

Last edited by airahaznila; Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old
Sat Dec 07, 2013, 05:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I don't think there is a huge skill difference between 2NL and 5NL, there are maybe more regular players at 5NL but I wouldn't be worried.

You seem to have a solid winrate and a good bankroll management strategy.

My best advice would be to continue playing your normal winning game and don't play with scared money. If you are scared about making decisions because you might lose your (now bigger) stack, you have moved up limits too soon.

Old
Sat Dec 07, 2013, 06:13 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
You have a nice bankroll to take a few shots at 5NL. If you feel uncomfortable or drop to $80 just move back to 2NL and build up again to $100 bankroll.

Felix one of our PSO trainers and Team On-line Pro is doing a #grindingitup challenge you can follow his blog and youtube videos for extra advice.

Old
Sat Dec 07, 2013, 09:41 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
Hello airahaznila,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

Looks to me like you've got a nice winrate at 2NL which points to you being a decent player who's capable of beating 5NL too. The skill difference is not all that different between the two so you shouldn't be too worried about taking a shot. Just treat it the same as how you normally play and continue to study and review your own game. If things do turn out to not go so well at first then just move back down to 2NL until you're rolled and ready to give it another go. Good luck!

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Cheers,

Chris

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 02:05 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
With those results at 2nl you'll never get crushed at 5nl.

Move up and play the same game. Try not to overadjust.

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 03:06 AM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2012
Idk guys, I heard there's a considerable difference of skill between 2nl and 5nl.
One thing you may encounter is you'll feel that everyone is bluffing, making moves on you. Just don't deviate from your solid game plan and it should be allright.

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 05:23 AM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2012
There's jump in every stake. You just have to try and adjust the best you can.

Personally i've found the biggest jump to be from 10nl -> 25nl.

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 06:41 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2013
If you play solid ABC game, then there is not that much difference between NL2 and NL5 (or NL10). However, if you have made yourself wrong habits because of NL2 player pool, you will find soon that making good profit at 5NL is not that easy.

Better move up as soon as possible.

From negative/break even to show profit for me: NL2 regular, 6k hands before +EV ( at the end 22bb/100), 10k hands NL2 6max zoom (7bb/100), 50k hands NL5 6max zoom and still break even

Last edited by braveslice; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 09:12 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
There's jump in every stake. You just have to try and adjust the best you can.

I would agree 100% with this as 25NL has always been my 'holy grail' as far as cash games go. As far as the jump from 2NL > 5NL there is a noticable difference in the gameplay, but if you're crushing 2NL, 5/10 are definitely beatable. I personally hate playing at 2NL and want to get out of there as fast as I possibly can. Money/VPPs come slow, can't stand the way the game plays there, messes with my whole mentality, lol. I personally start adding in some 5NL as soon as I have a $50+ bankroll, which is probably terrible BR advice, but like I said, I hate 2NL. My BR restrictions tighten up greatly after 10NL though.

On a side note, I have noticed almost 0 difference between 5NL and 10NL as far as gameplay goes, you even see most of the same regs playing at both.

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:30 AM
(#10)
I took your advices and just moved to 5NL. Graph for my first session, ~5k hands.

(~12bb/100, 15,4/11,4/2,39)

What I noticed so far is that my cbet gets called more often, people let go of their second best hand less often and there is a lot of check raise action.
It's still premature to give a verdict I guess since 5k hand is not that much of a volume.
Oh and I also got Silver status now!

Last edited by airahaznila; Mon Dec 09, 2013 at 09:35 AM..

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:39 AM
(#11)
The graph looks pretty good to me, keep it up!

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:28 AM
(#12)
So i take it it's not your first time playing cashgames.

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 01:26 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlopes View Post
So i take it it's not your first time playing cashgames.
Well I got a group of friends that I play with once in a while, as far as my online experience goes, I deposited a couple of times before but this is the first time that I actually took it more seriously and enforced some rules for myself along with a good bankroll management.

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:09 PM
(#14)
A 10$ deposit to play 2NL is not a good bankroll management. At the same time, you know that that 40 buy-ins is the standard. Playing once in a while with your friends won't get you a 9bb/100 winrate. So, i think this is a profitable spot to bluff-call. When you get fed up your your "shenanigans", i would really like you to teache me how to beat the micros has you do. You know your poker!

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 10:13 PM
(#15)
Quote:
IMO that's 2 levels. I know in zoom its technically only 1 level but it's significantly more difficult from what I hear and is more than double the blinds.

Quote:
On a side note, I have noticed almost 0 difference between 5NL and 10NL as far as gameplay goes, you even see most of the same regs playing at both.
Personally I found the move from 5nl to 10nl pretty challenging. 10nl seems to be some kind of midpoint for microstakes as some other 16nl regs and even 25nl regs play there.

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlopes View Post
A 10$ deposit to play 2NL is not a good bankroll management.
Yes but I deposited the minimum with the intention of adding more if I busted.

Also, my second session of 5NL started slow but ended up pretty well! ~7k hands

(~13bb/100, 13,3/9,16/2.36)

New goal, get gold star before December ends!

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 03:06 AM
(#17)
Tottaly agree, I took a shot myself yesterday, taking the money on the flop isn't that easy anymore. It's a bit more complex postflop play, more people start to actually range you.

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 01:39 AM
(#18)
Since: Sep 2011
BronzeStar
Super solid graph, you seem to be curshing man, nice work!

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 03:21 PM
(#19)

Good news is I achieved my goal of getting gold star by the end of december, bad news is that I did it with mediocre results.
Almost 100k hands on breakeven, time to analyze some hands and hopefully improve my game for January!

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 05:25 AM
(#20)
Since: Aug 2012
Hi, I was also chasing some bonusses till the end of december, but didnt paid off.. maybe it is better to play and dont care about promotions, because taking a day or two off is alot more profitable than chasing bonuses.. From results I see that you might be better off just playing 2NL and focus on getting the most out of 2NL and learn how to play against some regs aswell.. I think you try to get up limits quicker than you should... I know it is not the best money/hour to be made in 2NL but it is still better to be winning 2NL player than loosing 10NL.. I talk from my experience because I can crush 2NL and I am still not comfortbable to go up, because my goal is that when I move up, I wouldn't be necesary to move back down because i will be prepaired for the limit I enter and I will have a proper bank behind.. the whole point of moving up the stakes is that you can earn more money at a better rate and if you play at 20+bb/100 at 2NL you must get your homework done to get more money/100bb/hour @5NL or 10NL

cheers

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com