Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl: River spot w/ marginal holding

Old
10nl: River spot w/ marginal holding - Sun Dec 08, 2013, 02:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Stats: VPIP: 50, PFR: 23, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 48

Isolated the weaker player with K2s IP. I didn't really want the SB or BB coming along hence the 3b.

So OTF, villain check/raises. With such a strong draw I don't feel we can fold given the price we are getting, plus we probably have great implied odds to stack him if we hit.

Turned a K and we are checked to which makes me think he has absolutely nothing. Don't think anything worse will call so I checkback with my showdown value.

He bets just under a fifth pot OTR and at this point I don't think he has much.

I believe any Ax would barrel turn but it's hard to say what fish do.

Sigh/Call?

Last edited by birdayy; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 04:01 AM..

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 07:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I think he has Ax alot here, i don't like the iso preflop though because hes loose passive, if he was tight passive then i think it would be better.

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 08:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I think all his post-flop action says something like A5-AT. A guy with an aggression factor of 1 check-raises you on the flop. When you call he's scared of AK-AJ so he just checks the turn for pot control. Once you check on the turn, he fires a tiny river bet, partly as a blocking bet, partly because he's presumably expecting you to fold some of the time here.

Because the bet is so small, I think you have to call and hope he shows up with a goofy Jx or missed flush draw.

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 01:31 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi birdayy,

I'm not a huge fan of isolating this guy with K2... He seems like he doesn't like to fold too much, and K2 is more of a resteal isolation type hand, not a value hand. I'd rather be expanding my value range to iso this guy.

As played it's probably a fold tbh... I know the sizing is small, but the villain's AF = 1.0, so it's pretty hard to see him doing this as some bluff or nonsense bet with Jx because those would be aggressive type spews. It's also easy to see him not barreling the turn with A-rag once you call his flop raise. I mean calling for this price probably isn't a huge mistake or anything, but I just don't think we're good often enough here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 01:34 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Hey birdayy,

I'm not sure I like the 3bet preflop against this opponent. Without any post flop reads I would rather 3bet a wider range for value. Also we are putting a higher price on our bluffs by making it over 3x.
When they x/r I think they would have atleast Ax here. So I like checking back the turn to realize our equity OTR because we don't want to get x/r-ed again OTT. I'm folding river if I think they will have atleast Ax when they x/r flop.

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:07 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
Not the best spot to 3b then ^^

Thanks for the responses.

Villain ended up having 8 high :S

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com