Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Session Length

Old
Question
Session Length - Sun Dec 08, 2013, 10:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hey guys! Wanted to ask how long do you make your sessions, and for how long can you keep your focus and your A game. I don't know about poker tracker, but holdem manager has a nice widget called Tilt Breaker Cash Session Efficiency. It does what it says, shows what winrate you have through different session lengths.
Here's a screenshot of mine

As you can see, it drops down drasticly after 35 minutes played, I guess I have a pretty short attention span.
Does anyone know how to stretch it? I used to do one hour sessions in the summer and after some failed attempts at 5nl I made a break and it was never the same. (this is a 2nl graph)
Also, how do you like your sessions, fixed like 1h, 1.5h etc, or do you just play till you feel you are starting to lose focus?

Last edited by Praydk; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 10:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I think everyone is different. I tend to start out slowly, and I'm often stuck half a buy-in or so after half an hour, but I find my A-game around 20 minutes into a session, so usually turn things around after that. I tend to start losing focus after about an hour and 15 minutes, so I usually take a 5 minute break around that point. If I play more than 90 minutes, I go off the boil and get a bit spewy if I'm up or down a lot, so I try to close down all the tables at that point. I find it's best - for me - to play 2 or 3 short sessions each day, rather than one longer one.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 11:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
I find it really just depends on how I'm feeling or how busy I am that day. Often I find myself playing lots of short (20 mins or so) sessions with short breaks in between. especially if I have a lot to do during the day and it's just easier to fit in that way. Other days when I'm more in the mood and have time to grind I'll have two or three longer sessions (an hour to almost two perhaps). I do find myself feeling quite tired after a longer session though and would love to work on my mental endurance.

In terms of win rates for each I think it varies too much to say one is any better than the other. I think if I looked into it it'd probably even out in the long run to be something similar but with the long sessions I don't feel so cheated when I take a bad beat or sick cooler because I have the chance to play through the variance and get back into profit in the session.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 11:52 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
I usually 4-table 6Max Zoom.

My limit for playing well in a session is normally between 1.5-2.5 hours, although sometimes I can play well for longer and I sometimes quit after a shorter time span.

I think I have found a good spot when I know I am starting to lose focus - I start playing in auto-pilot mode and don't really find myself thinking about situations and just start mindlessly clicking.

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:12 PM
(#5)
By the way, what do you do on breaks to refresh?

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:32 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Make coffee, have a banana, check my twitter feed. I also like to stretch my arms and legs a bit, because I get cramp or RSI if I'm stuck in the same position clicking the mouse all day.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
How did you get this Widget on HEM?

My attention span is strange, I could play all night but when I multi table I need breaks. I'd love to find the right balance - tables v time v ROI.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:47 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praydk View Post
I'll do just about anything BUT look at a computer or think about poker. Read, get on my treadmill, work on other things... just nothing with computers nor poker. That way I can be refreshed when I get back at it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:53 PM
(#9)
you open the Home tab, to the right of HUD settings there'sa button called Add Widget
In hem theres a report on number of tables played, there you can see your winrate, $/h etc.

Last edited by Praydk; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:57 PM
(#10)
In hem theres a report on number of tables played, there you can see your winrate $/h etc.
(delete this message)

Last edited by Praydk; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 01:02 PM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
you open the Home tab, to the right of HUD settings there'sa button called Add Widget
In hem theres a report on number of tables played, there you can see your winrate, $/h etc.

(can a mod delete my last post, I can't find a delete button.)
Cheers! I've always got my HEM set on the report tabs and probably why I never noticed it.

Thanks again.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 01:06 PM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
During my sessions I also like to take little 2 or 3 minute breaks - just walk around, grab a drink, just unwind before going back on.

Between sessions, like JWK says, anything other than poker is normally a good place to start! Although I do allow myself a bit of time to come on here of course

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com