Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Fifty50 $1.5

Old
Fifty50 $1.5 - Sun Dec 08, 2013, 06:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Im not sure if I am suppose to call this? Opponent's VPIP/PFR 6/7

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 07:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I can see why you folded, an all-in raise from Early Position looks quite scary and your opponent might be a tight player.

However AQ is an extremely strong hand. You only have 6 Big Blinds and are in desperate need of some more chips in order to prolong your life in the tournament. It is unlikely you will get as strong a hand as this while you still have a decent amount of chips.

The other issue you have to consider is the stack size of your opponent. He has even fewer chips than you, about a 5 Big Blind stack. He is also desperate to double up or steal the blinds uncontested.

Villain is likely to be going on all in with any pocket pair, maybe any Ace, some broadway hands e.g. KQ/KJ.

Your AQ is favourite against most of his likely holdings, so you should call his bet and you are very likely to win.

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 08:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ggervacio!

My first instinct here was to snap-call, but to be sure I went to an ICM calculator. When I put in the stacks and the opp's shove, I get a call range of 16% (44+, A3s+, A8o+, KTs+, KJo+).

AQo is well within this range, so I'm calling.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:29 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
It would have been an easy call for me too had I not been reviewing my bubble play strategy. Anyway I also ran this in pokerstove. I got 36% for the pot odds and my AQo vs 6% VPIP or 7% PFR. It still gives me 40% equity, the margin is very narrow but it's still a call. Did I get it right JW? Is my figure the same thing with your 16% JWK24? I don't think pokerstove factored in the prize pool in its computation.

During the decision making, I did not factor in the fact that opponent maybe shoving wider than what the hud is saying as what Spand42 mentioned. We are both in critical level, and I may not get any cards better than that before the blinds eat us.

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 10:36 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ggervacio!

You're on the right track. Pokerstove does not take the prize pool into consideration, where an ICM calc does (I specifically picked one that has 50/50 as an option). Also, the 7% number is low. Being short-stacked, the opp should be shoving wider than this and they do so. 77 is not within a 7% range.
Honestly, if the opp wants to be playing optimally, they should be shoving about a 32% range here.

You are absolutely correct that if pokerstove has a higher equity than the pot equity, that it's a +EV call.... but in a case like this, we not only have to look at chip EV, but tourney EV.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com