Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

can;t move on untill someone explain me this

Old
can;t move on untill someone explain me this - Mon Dec 09, 2013, 07:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013

So my question is simple did I made a right play or not?

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:29 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I would raise smaller preflop, somewhere between 2-2. (Between say 60-65k). This gives you more room to fold if some scary action comes after you.

You don't give any information on the villain - was he being aggressive, was this the first time he had 3Bet? I think this information would be very useful.

Also whereabouts in the tournament were you? Were you already in the money? Were you getting towards a final table?

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:59 AM
(#3)
it was 1k freeroll there was 19k plus players level 18 and I finished in 379th place
Villain came late to our table and was 3betting 10 out of 15 hands he was one of two big stacks at our table.
longer I think about that I think I should fold that... but is so hard smaler stacks are in all in mode and when you finally get a hand .. hmmm

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:13 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekmansick View Post
it was 1k freeroll there was 19k plus players level 18 and I finished in 379th place
Villain came late to our table and was 3betting 10 out of 15 hands he was one of two big stacks at our table.
longer I think about that I think I should fold that... but is so hard smaler stacks are in all in mode and when you finally get a hand .. hmmm
If the villain is 3Betting all the time - then I think you made exactly the correct play by going all in.

JJ is a very strong hand and beats most of his likely 3Betting range. Only AA, KK and QQ are ahead of you. You are way ahead of pocket pairs and are also ahead of AK/AQ and crushing AT and worse.

Also if he is 3Betting with bad cards, you also have a good amount of fold equity.

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:26 AM
(#5)
thanks a lot for commets .. means a lot

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 10:10 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
It depends....

the dreaded catch all poker answer,

however if you are happy that JJ is a hand you are going all in with you might consider shoving all in rather than raiseing 3x with most of the stacks at the table if you get a reraise it is commiting for them (they are all in)

So if you play it do you have a Plan,

what is you goal with you raise - do you want a call raie or a fold?

if you get a call and flop is AKx rainbow what is you move?

If ther are 2 all in's before it comes back to you what is your plan?

So the question is did you have a plan and stick to it in that case you played it well, got unlucky.

This sounds like it was the case so well played.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 10:52 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi pekmansick!

The more information that you can give us about the situation, the better. We especially need to know what type of tourney it is and any info about the opp. I see some of this in a later post, but please in the future include it with the first post, as different types of tourneys have different strategies and we want to be able to give you the best answer possible.

With JJ from mid position, I'm going to make a standard raise here, which is to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper (6600).
I start at 3BB+1BB for each limper until the blinds hit 100/200. At 100/200, I make it 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, then at 1k/2k blinds I lower it again to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper. I do not use 2X ever, as this gives the opps the correct odds to play too many hands back at me (which is easily exploitable by a better player).

I now get 3-bet to 27k. Here is where a read on the opp is critical. If the opp is extremely tight, then I need to fold JJ here as best case I'm going to be in a race. If the opp is loose (looks like this opp was a maniac if they 3-bet 10 out of 15 hands), then I'm going to 4-bet and with not even having 3X their bet, I'm going to shove.

I'm not even going to consider open-shoving here.. it's too many chips and will just value-own me. It will make all better hands call and all worse hands fold.. the exact opposite of what I want to have happen.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:20 AM
(#8)
yes it helps a lot guys .. .

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com