Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL - Tells we have on villains

Old
2NL - Tells we have on villains - Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
From my experience, here are some small things that are always almost true at 2NL

1- River pot bets are almost never polarized and represent a good hand.

2- River donks are almost always the nuts. When the draw hits the river and they lead, they have it.

3- Min donk on drawy boards are weak and can be raised. On paired/dry board a little less but also true. Raise and they fold. If they continue just give up unimproved.

You also find this? Care to share some tells?

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
1 & 2 are pretty much dead on - all the way up to 50nl/100nl imo. At least if we're talking about fish, when it comes to regs, that's a diff story.

When fish min donk/call Axx flops, then min donk the turn. It's almost always a weak ace that they will NEVER fold.

Also when fish overbet, specially on the river. Almost always the nuts, or some kind of backdoor that hit on a A or K high brd. Whenever fish overbet the pot on the river, specially lead the river, I find it's almost always super strong, and rarely, if ever as a bluff.

Players who bet small/small/large - usually trying to make up for lost value.

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 05:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2012
its really player dependant, its hard to tell if you dont know the player, and you have to give an unknown credit for it majority of the time, and anyway most of your money will come from value betting strong hands not calling with your mediocre hands at these limits, just an opinion of a novice lol

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 05:37 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Anyone that joins your table with a weird stack size like 93c or $1.07 is a fish with his whole bankroll on the table, and he's going to shove all in with the first pocket pair or ace that he sees. Snap call with TT+/AQ+ for the win.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 05:42 AM
(#5)
If a maniac playing something ridiculous like 48/37/32 limps under the gun, he has AA and is going to do the lame limp-reraise trick. Don't pay him off with AK/QQ.

Similarly to the short-stack tip above, if a bad player loses to a suckout and doesn't auto-rebuy, so he has something like 63c remaining, look out for a tilt-shove in the next two hands, which will be with any pair, any ace, and sometimes any two napkins. Snap-call with 99+/AJ+.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 09:45 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2011
From my experience at 2NL you shouldn't base your actions on "tells", solid ABC is the key.
Mainly avoid speculative hands in bad positions like KJ in early position, it may look nice, but even if K or J hits you on the flop, it can end in disaster since your hand may be behind already.
Also you have to discipline your self to let go of your hand if the pot odds/implied pot odds are not worth it, i.e. you raise with AK and a short stack say 40ish BB 3bets, there are chances that flop won't connect with you, and even if it will you won't be able to extract that much from him, so in the end is not worth the hassle.
And there are also harder to let go situations like QQ in hand, you see the flop xxx, napkins, say pot is 20c, and villain decided to shove 2$, not worth it.

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:04 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airahaznila View Post
you raise with AK and a short stack say 40ish BB 3bets, there are chances that flop won't connect with you, and even if it will you won't be able to extract that much from him, so in the end is not worth the hassle.
That's a fist-pump shove for me. I'm pretty much never folding AK to a 40bb short-stacker, whether it's full ring or 6-max. They show up with AQ/AJ (or worse) often enough (or they fold to the 4-bet) that I'm taking that edge every time I get the chance. AQ is usually a fold though, especially if villain is pretty tight. You've gotta take flips with shorties.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 04:32 PM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2012
Quote:
Players who bet small/small/large - usually trying to make up for lost value.
nhynyx, i think this is very true. When i see a min bet, a mim bet then a pot bet that is exactly what i think: getting value from the streets they've lost. At 2Nl pretty much the size of the bet represents the strenght of the hand. Of course, there are somes players from Russia and Belarus that show you diferent.

ArtySmokesPS shoving all day AK or JJ+ for 40 BBs. But not calling AK for 50 BBs, only shove. You think this is a mistake?

airahaznila, yeah, i'm not hero calling there with QQ to a 100BBs shove. I always find a goofy 2 pair hand that beats mine....

Last edited by MrFlopes; Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 04:40 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com