Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

87s freeroll draw playing against top 2 pair

Old
87s freeroll draw playing against top 2 pair - Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013

In the above hand, I chose to limp pre-flop to try to hit a monster and it kind of worked out well for me. What I was wondering was about my bet sizing post flop and if there could have been a way to get more value from the second villain.

In these freerolls, they call all in bets with pretty much anything, and I was favorite to win the hand with 15 outs, so I just tend to go all in, especially short-stacked, but I wanted to ask about how you guys would play this hand so as to extract maximum value from the villains if this were a more "serious" tournament. Thanks in advance!

Take it EZ!

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 07:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Max_Kane!

The key to these situations is to make standard bet sizes the entire way thru the hand. This is true of ALL tourneys, even freerolls. While there will be plenty of maniacs in them, there will also be some very serious players that WILL pick up on bet tells.

With 78s from the hijack, my key here would be how aggressive the opps behind me are. If the opps are aggressive, then I need to muck 78s as I will most likely be raised preflop, which will make it so that I do not have the correct odds to be in the hand. If the table is passive and will just call, the stacks are deep enough that I'm more than happy to call and see if I can hit a big flop.

I see a 4-way flop and while I currently have nothing, I flop an OESFD. An opp now makes an abnormally small bet in front of me. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 3 opps in the pot, a standard bet is 3/4 pot, so because their bet is smaller and I'm on a draw, I have two choices. I can call and hope to hit on the turn (what I will do the majority of the time), OR I can make a standard raise as a semi-bluff. Since 3/4 pot is standard, I will raise by 3/4 pot to 195. I do not want to raise to more nor less than this, as any observant opp will be able to spot the bet tell of a non-std bet. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent... something that I need to avoid.

The turn gives me a flush, but I still need to make a standard value bet that will price out a draw to a higher flush. With only one opp in the hand, this amount is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 390... BUT.. this is over 1/3 of my remaining chips, which means that if I make the bet, I'm pot-committed and cannot fold. Due to this, I need to shove the turn. Making a pot-committing bet without shoving is a HUGE red flag for an observant opponent.

The keys are to make standard bets so that worse hands can call, because informed opps that understand pot odds will not call too large of a bet and pay a player off... they'll only call these bets when they're ahead, which means that by making too large of bets, we'd value-own ourselves.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 09:17 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2013
Hey John! Was it your blog I was reading about how to crush microstakes?

OK, I understand what you say, but I'm aware I don't have enough knowledge of poker to PROPERLY understand you. I don't know the standard bet sizes you are talking about, and the justification for things to be so. I cannot learn something unless I understand how it works (kind of like Sylar from Heroes without the scalping LOL). Do you mind going a bit deeper into your own answer and explain to me the logic behind the bet sizes you mention? I understand how it works, I just don't understand why those mentioned bet sizes are the standard.

Thanks!!!

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Here's a BLOG that I wrote on why these are the necessary sizes. I think it'll help.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com