Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Still trying to win 0.25$ 45men sng

Old
Still trying to win 0.25$ 45men sng - Wed Dec 11, 2013, 08:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
well I once asked someone for advice how to transfer from play money to real money games and which games should that be according to my bankroll and so...
I got GREAT ADVICE from RAISER and those 45men sng are officially my favorite now
from 10 games played I only once was busted before money...
today my scores moved a little forward 2nd and 4th place .
in both games I was huge chip leader four handed and it was unfamiliar spot for me... in one I managed to move to heads-up with even stacks in other hmmm ... beter result could came from sitting out .

is there some good lesons for heads up play and for big stack late in tournament?

I would like to finally nail one of this down not running up just to lose heads up.

would appreciate any advice or coment

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 09:02 AM
(#2)

I couldn't play worse those aces... decisive hand in heads up.

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 09:32 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi pekmansick!

Here is a LINK to Andre's training videos. Most of these are on HU play and I know that they have helped my game.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 09:45 AM
(#4)
Thanks a lot John

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Congratulations on the run pekmansick,

Good that you have found a game that are doing well at.

Don't forget you will (probably) hit a run some where along the line of bad results just remember what you did in this winning sessions and make good decisions.

As for the AA hand all I can say is "no C-bet heads up?" 2 minutes in the sin bin for you!!

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#6)

I know ... so so stupid... expected him to c-bet, trying to trap him, slow-played my aces and got what I deserve
won't happen again

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekmansick View Post

I know ... so so stupid... expected him to c-bet, trying to trap him, slow-played my aces and got what I deserve
won't happen again

Raise bigger pre-flop. If you can get the villain to commit their stack pre,that's what we want. If not we certainly want to be growing the pot enough where we can get stacks in as quickly as possible post flop,before scare cards chase them off,or even worse we find ourselves up against a coordinated board that gives us pause.

I would have bet at least 3200 pre and if against a looser player who may be more likely to get married to any Ax,small to mid-pair and Broadway combos pre-flop I'd probably go to 4800 with a reasonable expectation of them coming right back over top of me. It was K4s here...trust me,you're gonna see a decent percentage of players with a chip lead HU in these .25's who will stack off K4s in that spot. Nevermind that they'll push with the upper part of their range,all of which we're crushing with our rockets.

You already acknowledged not c-betting here was bad,so not much to add to that.

And on the turn when we fail to c-bet the flop it snowballs into now we're making a roughly half pot bet that is going to more often than not fail to get us to our objective,be it on the turn or the river,and that's getting the villain to commit their stack.

Think of it like links in a chain...proper bet sizing pre-flop leads to more equity in the pot when we c-bet the flop,leads to more equity in the pot the times that we barrel the turn (which is going to be much more often than not...) leads to stacks are in by the turn or at worst set up to be in on the river.

As to the overarching theme of the thread...waiting on your first ship in these...RELAX and focus on decisions and making good ones more often than not and letting you opponents be the ones to make the mistakes (they make a TON of them in these games) and the wins will come.

In these and the .25 90 mans (very much recommend playing these as well,these are great bridge games from 45 mans to 180's and MTT's if you have intentions of going that direction when the time comes...)it's really not to complicated...

1: Tight,tight,tight early. Don't leak off chips we'll need at the bubble and (hopefully) FT by getting very much (if at all) involved with speculative hands early. Stick to premiums and extract as much value as possible when we get them.

2: Antes come out and bubble equals...IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!!!

Open it up and steal like a hedge fund manager from the tight,bubble watchers here. Be aware of player type,where they are in relation to us,both positionally and stack size wise,and use notes (more on that in 3...) and observations to help decide who the proper targets are and act accordingly. Always decide BEFORE making any bet at this stage if you're prepared to put your stack at risk,as the shorties will be looking to shove and some of the better players with mid-stacks will look to 3-bet steal.

3: Take copious notes,as you will see alot of the same players over and over in these having a good stat base will serve you well. Remember...every time you make a good,useful note on a player that you can reference to your advantage later,you've done something that is +EV.

If you can get good solid notes on a handful of players every time you play one of these,then even the ones where you fail to cash (which will be the majority...) still have value,as you should try to look at it as an investment,since for .25 you now have info on a few more players moving forward. That's a cheap price for something that can pay off a much higher return later.

Dave(The Langolier) has an excellent video in the archive here on effective note taking that I highly recommend for any player starting out. It's more cash oriented but the general themes still apply to SNG and MTT play as well.

Good luck and better decisions.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 03:22 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 04:12 PM
(#8)
thank you for your time and valuable advices Moxie

Old
hi pekmansick - Thu Jan 23, 2014, 02:32 AM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2010
If you are liking and doing well at 45 mans, I would try playing some single table tourneys. You will be able to play more games and if you are winning, you will make more $$$. Often the competition is weak and given good reads you can dominate the competition. Seeing as you are playing .25 45mans, I would try either some 9man or 6man STTs. Are you running a HUD?

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 07:47 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Practicing end game situations for mtt play is a very important aspect because you don't run that deep a lot. When we do make it to a final table, we want to be comfortable and confident making the right decisions.
What I found helps a lot is playing 9 and 18 mans, this will put you in the "final table situation"

Practicing with an icm trainer before every session I think is of huge benefit. You can easily emulate the game your playing by changing blind levels, stack sizes, players etc.
Run a 100 question push/fold quiz and aim for around 80-90%
Then you can review all the incorrect answers and compare them to the actual +ev ranges.

gl

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 09:00 AM
(#11)
Since: May 2012
I'm not going to comment much since Moxie Pip seems to have covered a lot of good stuff in his post, but I'll say this, and please take this to your heart and explain to me what your thought process is in this hand, okay?

You have AA in the BB and your opponent raises it, and now it's your turn. I imagine you being really tight, and just after watching this hand I noticed how bad your play was(excuse me). Now if you are really tight that 3bet pre will show a lot of strength, since you aren't 3betting much. So why would you 3bet? Is your opponent a calling station? Is your opponent calling a lot pre, but folding a lot of flops? Does your opponent float? Does your opponent pay a lot of draws? Will he give up pairs top-medium-bottom easyily, or not? Observations like this is important when trying to play a hand.

Pre flop you have the absolute nuts so you aren't bluffing? Then you are playing this hand for value, so in a way I'm saying to you, when you 3bet(reraise his raise) you are doing it for value, and if so you should atleast raise it to 3.2k or more(given your opponent likes to see flop). If you are the aggressor preflop, why would you suddenly check the flop? When you 3bet pre and your opponent obviously is passive, then you are already losing a lot of money. You should've observed this already and start reraising, and stabbing flops without hands because he seems likely to play fit or fold poker. So you cbet the flop and he: folds - thanks for the chips, or he calls - thanks for more chips. On the turn there a different approaches given your read and observations on your opponent. Sometimes I'll check, not against this guy seeing how he called bottom pair on the turn after a min. 3bet pre. I'll shove to make Qx call, pockets, draws and other bad pairs, or to make it seem like a bluff and induce a hero to step up to the plate and make a terrible hero call.

Other than that, you played it bad - but you are being result oriented. He called bottom pair on turn, and just flatted your bet on the river with two pairs, that says a lot. Good luck next time, nice to see players having discipline enough to grind the lowest stakes!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com