Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6-max, AJs, get in or avoid these situations

Old
10NL 6-max, AJs, get in or avoid these situations - Wed Dec 11, 2013, 01:45 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hey,

the question I have is should I do this or not. Is this part of the game and you win some and lose some or is this better to avoid.

The villains stats are 30/27 with a 12,5 3bet percentage from a small 40 hand sample.

The 4 bet was based on the assumption that he was 3-betting light (position and stats). And I want to experiment with 4-betting, and not only with KK or AA or something like that.

The flop I wanted to c-bet. I showed strenght with my 4-bet, and the flop would hit that range. An I hit second pair, so I thought there is always a chance to improve. And if he raises I'd probably fold.

The turn brings me a flushdraw, so more outs. I didn't want to check, because I thought there was a chance he'd fold to a bet. . So I bet, I assumed I had about 14 outs if I was behind.

And I was behind, but hit an out....another day, another dollar.

Like to here some views on the hand (maybe my betsizing on the 4 bet a little too big?) and if one should go for these kinds of situations or avoid them and fold earlier or check the turn.

And while I'm writing this I'm thinking maybe I thought I had more outs then I actually should think. Maybe it's more like 11

Last edited by unha2011; Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 02:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi, unha

I think AJs is not a good hand to experiment light 4-bet because it's a great hand to take a flop in position. And because in this particular case that you think villain is 3-betting light, by calling you keep is bluffs in is range and a great part of that are probably dominated aces. When you 4-bet you turn a hand with great potencial into a bluff. What are you doing if he shoves? Do you stack off 100BBs with AJs? You could, but that is very villain dependent and 40 hands i don't think are sufficient for you to make that kind of decision.

As played, i would prefer to pot control the flop and check, then call a small bet on the turn when that diamond hits. Choosing to bet i would go for a smaller size like 1.80 and have a cheaper exit when he shoves. But i don't think betting acomplishes much here: you are only folding hands you beat like like 99s or 10s. Maybe you make i'm fold QQ, but everything that beats you calls you. You are right when you say this flop hits your range but i think when he calls a 4bet this flop hits is range too.

Last edited by MrFlopes; Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Pretty risky bets IMHO. I think the villain thought you have Kx and was pretty sure about his hand, as he had the best kicker. Yes, OTT you had 11 outs if I am counting right but I think it's not worth shoving. We saw the villain easily keep up with you so I would expect him to hold Kx (which was shown that he had).
To answer your question, I think yeah! Why not? It's poker. There is always something else to face. By playing we learn how to handle those situations and react to them. Few such situations and then you'll be able to handle them without any big problems.

I am not a pro, just wanted to try analyse the hand by myself. You don't have to take it seriously

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:23 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hey unha,

preflop I would put AJs into my calling range against a 3-bet. When villain 3-bets you with a wide range of hands from OOP your goal should be to put him into a spot at a disadvantage.

By 4-betting a beautiful hand like that things can go completely the wrong way: You do sometimes take down the pot preflop, but you're also risking to strengthen his continuing range and failing to see a flop as he might 5-bet/shove. So once your 4-bet gets called here I would expect his range to have an advantage over your specific hand.

Utilize your position, the great playability of your hand and the wide range your opponent uses to see a flop - these things will usually help you get the most out of spots like these.

As played I would also focus on utilizing my position better and check back the flop as I feel like we can't really get called by many worse hands here. We have showdown value and can potentially improve our equity on the turn with a diamond, J or A.

OTT you're turning your hand into a semibluff but I don't feel like we can fold out anything that called OTF, so I'd just check back here too and see the river.

Live Trainer

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 04:17 PM
(#5)
Thx for the reactions.

Which hands would you think are more suitable for 4-betting when you think somebody is 3 betting light.

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 12:22 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unha2011 View Post
Thx for the reactions.

Which hands would you think are more suitable for 4-betting when you think somebody is 3 betting light.
I will polarize to hands that I can play for stacks, and hands not strong enough to flat the 3-bettor's range, especially with blockers, a hand like A3s or K9s, where planning to fold to a 5b.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 07:55 AM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
I will polarize to hands that I can play for stacks, and hands not strong enough to flat the 3-bettor's range, especially with blockers, a hand like A3s or K9s, where planning to fold to a 5b.
I seem to remember Dan Harrington talking about a similar principle (albeit in a tournament setting).

If you're going to make big pre-flop moves (e.g. squeezing/4Betting) either do it with premium holdings or trash - not hands that you might actually want to see a flop with and are playable.

Old
Mon Dec 16, 2013, 12:35 PM
(#8)
Okay,thx for the advice

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com