Since: Feb 2013

Villain: vpip 15 pfr 13, 3bet 4.3 in 54 hands
hero : 21/14/6.5

Pre:
villian bet 4BB
Hero 3bets to 11BB
villian calls

Flop: Js 7d 9d
Tricky flop. Thought he would bluff-bet this flop so I checked, ready to raise him. Unfortunally he checks back.

Turn: 8s
Hero bets 60% pot. Semi-bluff, hoping to pick up the pot on this scary board. Repping a 10 or a flushdraw and my AA might still be good
villain : calls

River: 10s
Hero: I figured if I check, he will bet for sure and I cannot call that bet. So I thought I could better bet myself to rep a flush or bigger straight. Maybe he folds any hand that is a chop. If he shoves he has the board beat, and I would fold instand.

questions:
Is my analysis complete nonsence or does it make sence?
What would be a good sized bet?

thanks in advance

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
I hate check/raising the flop. Just bet/bet/bet unless the board runout sucks (like it did)

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 09:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleefstra View Post
Tricky flop. Thought he would bluff-bet this flop so I checked, ready to raise him. Unfortunally he checks back.
What made you think this?

I think he might actually be more likely to bluff if you Cbet and then you can 3Bet shove and give him a rude awakening.

Like Birdayy says, I would bet/bet/bet unless a lot of scariness happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleefstra View Post
River: I figured if I check, he will bet for sure and I cannot call that bet. So I thought I could better bet myself to rep a flush or bigger straight. Maybe he folds any hand that is a chop. If he shoves he has the board beat, and I would fold instand.
I posted a similar spot a while ago and Dave recommended betting in a spot like this (admittedly the hand played out differently). There's a chance he might fold as he might not fancy calling for only a 50% share, particularly as we might easily have AQ. In this particular spot, I would bet/fold as I think he is only shoving with a Q or a flush.

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:29 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hey Ray,

I would 3-bet a lot bigger preflop since you're OOP and villain opens to 4x. Your size is pretty enticing and lets villain correctly call a great part of his range. Unless you feel like he will be making tons of mistakes postflop this can be very hurtful to you as you have such a strong range in this spot.

The flop isn't all that great for Aces and hits the callers perceived range much better with all sets or pairs + draws, so I'd definitely start by betting and re-evaluating against a raise or OTT. I feel like check/raising flop would usually lead to overplaying or relative handstrength.

Turn and River are really bad cards for us, I don't see much value from worse now so I'd just check/fold expecting villain to check back most weaker hands into showdown. Even if he does bluff us sometimes straights/2 pairs/sets will be the major part of his range in the end.

Live Trainer

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 03:32 AM
(#5)
Of all the things I thought I did wrong in this hand, the one thing I thought I did right was the preflop play...

What size do you recommend Felix? 13-14BB ? or more like 16BB ?

@spand42:
9 out of 10 times I would bet this flop. And bet-bet if nothing happens.
1 in 10 I try to take a creative line that often resolves in a trouble-spot and have to put the hand on PSO and get shot for making obvious errors
Easy solution: no creative lines, just play my game. It "seems" good enough seeing the profit in almost 10k hands this month.

anyway, I did bet 50%pot on the river and he folded. fistpump !

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 04:46 AM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2013
I would bet 16BB in this case. Its a standart between 3x-4x. because you OOP you make him pay more of playng in position.

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 05:34 AM
(#7)
tnx beatmaker

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 08:33 AM
(#8)
Oh I noticed that people fold almost same percentege if you bet 3x or 4x so if you plaing against recreational player or unknown you can vary your 3bet size depending on value.

For example in NL 10
If you 3bet

9BB Folding 43.13%
10BB Folding 49% (I am not s**** why but,maybee People are skare of Psychological pricing because 1$ are shown without comma and in one chip.)
11BB Folding 44.00%
12BB Folding 43.75

3beted 5000 Hands not big sampple but you can se tendencies

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 09:08 AM
(#9)
Nice statistics !
So bet 10BB if you 3-bet bluff and bet 12BB to get value

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 10:08 AM
(#10)
Yes but its in NL10. In NL5 would be 9BB for weaker hands like AJ, KJs, ATs and so on. Against good thinking regulars Ill bet 12BB always.

Last edited by A Beatmaker; Thu Dec 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com