Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

1.10 regular tourney shove pocket 8s 28bb BB

Old
1.10 regular tourney shove pocket 8s 28bb BB - Thu Dec 12, 2013, 06:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
MP2: 11.21 BB (VPIP: 25.93, PFR: 7.41, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 27)
BTN: 35.5 BB (VPIP: 15.38, PFR: 12.82, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 39)

i knew i will get a call and also BTN would fold but i dont know my hand is good enough to shove or not.

SB (t5,740)
Hero (BB) (t6,768)
UTG (t7,208)
UTG+1 (t5,879)
MP1 (t16,634)
MP2 (t2,690)
CO (t3,000)
Button (t8,520)

Hero's M: 12.09

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 8
3 folds, MP2 calls t240, CO calls t240, Button calls t240, 1 fold, Hero raises to t6,743 (All-In), MP2 calls t2,425 (All-In), 2 folds

Flop: (t6,130) 7, Q, 4 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t6,130) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t6,130) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t6,130

Results below:
Click to show hidden text

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 10:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi sapines1001,

It's close, for me this guy has a VPIP of 26 % that gives us 54% equity basically a flip w might double up or might be going home.

With 28 BB's this is probably a spot we don't need to take.

and it gets worse, lets be honest he shouldn't be calling with the whole 26% not to a all in shove,

If he only calls with 15% then we are a now a small dog with only 48% equity.

Where are we in the Tournament before the bubble, after the bubble, when is the next blind increase,

what is the average stack and how do we compare now, all question to think about before making this shove.

If I shove my 88 here I'm hoping for folds with the back up of roughly a flip if the guy calls, however if in the last few orbits we have seen him call call callI am looking for a better spot.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 12:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi sapines1001!

With 88 in the BB, I get three limpers in front of me. Since the stacks are deep enough, I'm going to check and setmine. If I raise, I would make a standard raise to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper (1080). This bet would not pot commit me, so I would not even consider shoving.

Making large overbet shoves when I'm not pot-committed will only end up getting me value-owned.... it will make worse hands fold and better ones call.. the opposite of what I want to have happen. With a mid pair, I'm only going to get called by two overcards or an overpair and the best of these situations, I'm in a coin-flip. I want to be taking flips like this when I get down to 10BB, not at 28BB and hand strength will not play into my decision at all.. it's solely based on chip stack. Players that make bets based on their hand strength are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I absolutely need to avoid doing.

Postflop, if I hit an 8 or have an overpair to the board, I'll make a standard bet on the flop. Otherwise, I'll check and hope to see a free turn and river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com