Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL Pocket7s turned set. lost $5 Pot - Correct Play?

Old
2NL Pocket7s turned set. lost $5 Pot - Correct Play? - Fri Dec 13, 2013, 03:41 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
BronzeStar
Hi. This is my first post here.
Playing against two maniacs who were butting heads in every hand. This was my 14th hand at the table and the villains were in involved about 12 of them. 85% VPIP?.

River had 6,7,8,9 on the board. I folded fearing a 10 in either of their hands. Turns out the tripped 6s won . Is folding the correct play here?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...460_443CFC1F7A

Cheers,
Capper

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 04:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPPER33 View Post
Hi. This is my first post here.
Playing against two maniacs who were butting heads in every hand. This was my 14th hand at the table and the villains were in involved about 12 of them. 85% VPIP?.

River had 6,7,8,9 on the board. I folded fearing a 10 in either of their hands. Turns out the tripped 6s won . Is folding the correct play here?

Cheers,
Capper

Hi Capper,

Did you misread your hand... You hit a Full House OTT, so unless either Villain had 66, 88 or 99 you folded the best hand and I would have shoved OTT... or as played called OTR?

So no folding is not the correct / optimal play here Vs 2 maniacs imo.

GL @ the tables,

Tony

Last edited by Prodigy237; Fri Dec 13, 2013 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Added

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 05:15 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
I don't mean to be harsh - but you screwed up a bit here. You had a full house which beats any straight. The only hands you are losing to quads or a better full house.

I'm never folding this river - if someone as a better boat/quads, well done to them!

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 05:25 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
Must be a misread. Such an easy shove here

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 05:37 AM
(#5)
Full House > Straight
Sounds like you misread.

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 08:08 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
What an ass???? Sorry for posting something so stupid!!!

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 08:20 AM
(#7)
Quote:
What an ass???? Sorry for posting something so stupid!!!
Don't worry about it - even the best players misread their hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovoAQChfF5s

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 09:07 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
Yeah you messed up there... You just need to be paying more attention next time, like spand42 said it has happened to the best players around so it could happen to you. Just don't let it happen that often best of luck

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 10:15 AM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
I'd fold on the flop to be honest. Although 77 is often the best hand on an 866 flop, these guys are pretty aggro, so you aren't likely to get to showdown cheaply very often, and you only have 2 outs to the effective nuts. The UTG player is showing a lot of strength, opening 4x UTG and betting into 2 players, so he'll have an overpair quite often. He's a good candiate to go set-mining against, but just give up if you don't hit the flop imo.
As played, raise bigger on the turn and shove river.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 02:59 PM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2013
Can happen to anybody CAPPER33... when do you play?

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 02:03 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi CAPPER33!

Welcome to PSO! As you can see, there are lots of people willing to help. And, making mistakes is allowed here That is how we learn.

As Arty mentioned. Folding on the flop is a safe option. Normally with small pairs we should be fit or fold on the flop. However, against two laggy players AND the fact that you have some straight equity in addition to the two 7s, I don't mind seeing the turn. Yeah, unfortunately you folded the a monster here with the full house. It happens. I folded quad Ks once because I used so much time determining the best bet size that I timed out and got auto folded LOL!

Keep posting and good luck at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thank you. - Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:16 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Thanks guys - for the advice and encouraging words.
Shall be careful in future.

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:20 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleefstra View Post
Can happen to anybody CAPPER33... when do you play?
I generally play 9pm-11pm Indian time. Should be 4:30pm - 6:30pm your time. Will be glad to play with you

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:24 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I'd fold on the flop to be honest. Although 77 is often the best hand on an 866 flop, these guys are pretty aggro, so you aren't likely to get to showdown cheaply very often, and you only have 2 outs to the effective nuts. The UTG player is showing a lot of strength, opening 4x UTG and betting into 2 players, so he'll have an overpair quite often. He's a good candiate to go set-mining against, but just give up if you don't hit the flop imo.
As played, raise bigger on the turn and shove river.

Good Advice. Reading and ranging player hands is something i need to practice. Thank you.

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 06:59 AM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I'd fold on the flop to be honest. Although 77 is often the best hand on an 866 flop, these guys are pretty aggro, so you aren't likely to get to showdown cheaply very often
This reminds me of GarethC's excellent lesson last night about multi-way pots where he realises that he ought to have check/folded QT on a Q-high flop OOP because the hand would be so hard to play on future streets, so much so that he check/folded a rivered two pair.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com