Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 STT: ATo - To commit or not to commit

Old
$1.50 STT: ATo - To commit or not to commit - Fri Dec 13, 2013, 07:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Button: (23 hands)48/26 af:3.0
Small Blind: (107 hands) 35/11 af:2.8 fold to c bet:40%

I've been grinding these standard speed micro STTs for a few weeks now, making a small but decent profit. I find the third level to be something of an in-between stage. Depending on table dynamics, it is where I usually start to slightly loosen up after a very tight starting strategy, and think about stealing occasional blinds etc. On the other hand I will still be reluctant to commit my stack without a pretty definite equity advantage.

Here I got into a tough spot by trying to force the issue against two loose players with what ended up as quite a marginal hand.

Preflop raise was standard for me (I have settled on 3x raises on first two levels, then 2.5 on this level, and minraises thereafter).

With a strong but vulnerable top pair, I wanted to set a high price on such a wet flop, expecting to still be called by plenty of worse pairs as well as flush and straight draws.

The turn card was scary but not the scariest. My pair of tens doesn't look so good now, but I have only a halfpot bet left, and few draws actually got there on this turn, though many will have picked up equity. It was a really sticky spot to be in. I have to shove or fold and neither option appeals at all.

Should I have avoided getting into this situation on the turn, and if so how? As played, am I right to shove on the turn, given the remaining stacks and the looseness of the two potential callers?

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi mytton

I like your raise sizing and I like how you alter your raise sizing for each blind level.
Preflop is fine and I think you played the hand fantastically although I would have played it differently.

Don't get me wrong, I think you played the hand fine but what I do differently in these spots where we will find ourselves quickly committed if our c bet gets called is I like to cbet smaller, say half the pot. I like to do this because the chances of being called are quite high and the chance of a scare card appearing are also quite high so if we cbet smaller than you did and a scare card does come then we can happily get away from the hand and still be left with a playable stack size where as if we cbet 2/3rds of the pot and a scare card comes we are left with a smaller and less playable stack size.

I'd liked to have cbet 225 and check fold the turn. This way we still have over a thousand chips and have time to look for good spots to get the money in rather than feeling committed with only 860 chips left.

I understand that you want to price out villains potential draws but when the pot is as bloated as it is I feel like it's best to take 'less standard' courses of action.

As played I'd check/fold the turn as the Q is the worst card in the deck 'other than the Qc' It completes a ton of draws and also gives top pair to a ton of hands that would call our bet on the flop. If it were a heads up pot I'd ship the turn but as this is a 3 way pot the chances that we are beat are too high.

Cheers, Chris.

Last edited by ChewMe1; Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM..

Old
Sun Dec 15, 2013, 09:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Thanks for the clear and useful advice, Chris. Stacksize really dictates everything is these situations doesn't it?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com