Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Nl100 6 max zoom

Old
Nl100 6 max zoom - Fri Dec 13, 2013, 08:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar

hero is 25/21/9

did I play alright? should I be calling river or is it too risky in this spot?

P.S if I have many hands I want to be reviewd should I post them here or in a different thread for each hand?

Last edited by Phalkor; Fri Dec 13, 2013 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: looks better

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 10:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm not really sure of the dynamics of 100NL, but here are my thoughts anyways:

I suppose a typical villain preflop is cold-calling a 3Bet with small-medium pocket pairs (maybe up to JJ although I expect him to 4Bet this a lot), AK, maybe AQs.

When villain calls your Cbet OTF, I think he's likely got 33, 99-JJ, AQ, maybe AsKs.

The turn is probably a good card for us. Suddenly AsKs has made TPTK, no spade draw has got there and we are now ahead of all his pocket pairs except sets. However when villain calls your turn CBet, I'd be a little concerned as I don't think he's calling with any worse hands other than AK. I think villain might well slowplay AQ or sets hoping that you fire a third barrel.

If I ranged villain correctly, then I think the river should be a fold, as we are only beating AK and losing to AQ and sets.

Maybe I ranged the villain too narrow, I'd be interested to hear what more experienced players have to say!

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#3)
PS Post a different thread for each hand.

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:44 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
My 2NL analysis :

Will take the villain as an unknown. As we are so deep, i think that his 3-bet calling range IP can be wider than spand42 put him on, like 98s, 910s QJs, A10s, AJs (maybe even any Axs? ) those kind of hands that have some good draws on this board and will continue to flop/turn bet. If he has a set, you will hear from him in the river when he check-rasies you, but if he has a good ace, we will probably check-it to showdown and you will lose value. So i think i would prefer a small bet/fold line in the river. As played, i would call the river because the hand is good and also all the draws miss and he could be bluffing.

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar
Thank you, I think that your analysis is very good except the fact that I expect villain to 4bet AK and sometimes even AQ since we are in the blinds and my 3bet range is pretty wide.
I also expect him to RR on the flop if he has AQ since the flop is so wet.

Last edited by Phalkor; Fri Dec 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 10:43 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Phalkor,

Welcome to the forum.

I think your play is fine here. I would definitely call the river personally. My reasons are:

-All flopped draws missed... if he floated with a draw instead of raising flop, he may need to bluff the river to win.
-He may be capable of thin value betting the river with a flop float like AJ/AT, assuming that a fair portion of our light 3b range preflop includes Ax holdings with which we're planning to check/call the river to bluff catch busted draws.
-We are pretty close to the top of our range blind v blind.

With a hand near the top of our range and legit reasons villain could be betting both with worse made hands or bluffs, I'm happy to call.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 10:45 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalkor View Post
P.S if I have many hands I want to be reviewd should I post them here or in a different thread for each hand?
As others said, 1 hand to a thread, keeps discussions clear and easy to follow.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:27 PM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2012
I assume check/calling is a much more useful line at higher stakes because aggression is much higher.

When a lot of people on this forum check/call it's a lot less effective because at the nano-stakes villains don't value bet thinly and aren't aggressive enough post flop.

Given that, I like check calling on the river and I think you played the hand fine.

If we fold the top of our range here we are going to be very exploitable vs observant opponents.

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 09:19 AM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlopes View Post
My 2NL analysis
Your 2 cents

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 09:36 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalkor View Post
Thank you, I think that your analysis is very good except the fact that I expect villain to 4bet AK and sometimes even AQ since we are in the blinds and my 3bet range is pretty wide.
I also expect him to RR on the flop if he has AQ since the flop is so wet.
2NL player here - Wouldn't 100NL opps. be more aggressive with a set on that F/T/R?

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 10:22 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2013
Just a question on the BBs range here, i cant see 100nl regs flatting with small pairs maybe 22-77 when there not even closing the action?

I have no idea what so ever how TT+ AQ+ gets played either but i still think the river is a call as he can be betting some missed draws and Ax you beat. He might even squeeze some weak Ax there so you would have an even better idea of what his flatting range was if you knew what he squeezes with there.

Maybe Dave or someone who knows these games could give us an idea of what the BB might flat or 4bet here?

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Phalkor,

Welcome to the forum.

I think your play is fine here. I would definitely call the river personally. My reasons are:

-All flopped draws missed... if he floated with a draw instead of raising flop, he may need to bluff the river to win.
-He may be capable of thin value betting the river with a flop float like AJ/AT, assuming that a fair portion of our light 3b range preflop includes Ax holdings with which we're planning to check/call the river to bluff catch busted draws.
-We are pretty close to the top of our range blind v blind.

With a hand near the top of our range and legit reasons villain could be betting both with worse made hands or bluffs, I'm happy to call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Maybe Dave or someone who knows these games could give us an idea of what the BB might flat or 4bet here?
It seems that Dave thinks that AJ/AT or suited connectors might be villain's cold-calling 3Bet range, which surprises me but I have never played these stakes so have no idea what the dynamics are.

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 11:37 AM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hi All,

Interesting hand & discussion... I was more than a little surprised to see how passively Villain played his set [albeit bottom set] on such a w/board and like most thought Villain was going for thin value OTR with AJ / AT here a good percentage of the time?

Also, I like the x/c line OTR.

Tony

Last edited by Prodigy237; Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Added

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#14)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
It seems that Dave thinks that AJ/AT or suited connectors might be villain's cold-calling 3Bet range, which surprises me but I have never played these stakes so have no idea what the dynamics are.
Villain expects us to be 3-betting wide, so AJ/AT are tight folds vs our 3-betting range. They also aren't great cold 4-bets imo as a portion of our light range will be Ax/Kx and we would fold all those hands out, and get action from the value hands that are dominating us. So too strong to fold, not strong enough to 4b, and plays well in position vs. the light portions of our range = call.

The busted draws would likely be stuff like KJs, JTs, etc.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 03:28 PM
(#15)
Since: Nov 2011
I would probably value bet this river, but I like the idea of check-calling to get value from bluffs, like spades, JT, KJ, and stuff like that. Villain could perhaps, every so often, be tempted to value bet AK.

However, I think he can call river with AK should we bet ourselves and I think this is a spot to go for value. We will be pipped by AQ with a decent frequency, but that's okay. I think there are enough worse hands to call as well given villain's line.

These are just spots where I see passivity and I don't think I should then expect river aggression after so many passive actions.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com