Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Freeroll bad beat QQ against K7o from loose villain

Old
Freeroll bad beat QQ against K7o from loose villain - Fri Dec 13, 2013, 07:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013

Hey again! I don't really want any hand evaluation, just letting out some of the steam. Villain was doing all kinds of crazy moves and sucking out on people (like calling a shortstack all in with J4s and hitting a flush). She had already doubled me up chasing a flush draw against two-pair, and I thought, I have to make the most of any opportunity I have against her.

She would only fold when she didn't hit a hand, which basically means she NEVER folded pre-flop. I got QQ on the button, she raised and I shoved, knowing she'd call. I even thought (I swear): She's gonna call me with worse and then suck out on me somehow. That was what happened. She called me with K7o and rivered a K, so here's my frustration post.

Trying to play Freerolls well is PAINFUL, but we must continue to try!

Thanks for listening (reading).

Take it EZ!

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 08:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Max_Kane!

With QQ from the button, I get a min-raise in front of me. I'm going to make a standard 3-bet to 2400 as a standard 3-bet sizing is to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise.

The reason that I don't want to shove is two-fold.

First, is that seeing how there are more players to act behind me, if any of these opps are competent players, an overbet shove will value-own me. I'll fold out all worse hands and only get better hands to call.

Secondly, QQ is not an invincible hand, especially in a freeroll. Plenty of players will call with any A or any suited cards and I need to see that an A nor K hit the board. Even against just K7, QQ will lose just under 1/3 of the time (27.6%). If another opp stays in the pot, I could actually be the favorite to LOSE the hand with QQ... and that's without an opp having AA or KK.

The key here is to standard raise, then check/fold when I see an A on the flop. Yes, this time the opp had a K instead, but the majority of the time, I'm going to be beat on the flop.

The only time that I want to shove is when the value bet that I'm making is one that will pot-commit me... when I have to put 1/3 of my remaining chips into the pot.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com