Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

16nl - Pot control route with top set

Old
16nl - Pot control route with top set - Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Stats: VPIP: 19, PFR: 16, 3B: 8, AF: 1.7, Hands: 312

Wasn't that keen on getting ~170bb in with top set with the straight combos out there.

Villain is a pretty solid tighter reg who isn't too out of line.

I feel I might of missed a bit of value here. OTR when faced with such a small bet, I decided to raise/fold for value given he'd only 3b shove the river with better (never sets).

I also think I keep his range wider by calling OTF so he could barrel a hand like AQhh.

Any thoughts? I feel Gareth would play it like this for some reason.

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 01:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I like your cautios flop and turn line this deep as getting it in here will probably not make us a huge favorite equitywise. Villain would need to be willing to get it in so deep with 2 pair (less likely as you block a lot of combos). River I would just shove for value now that he pretty much announces he never really has a straight here with his sizing.

Ofc he could be trying to induce a raise but he could also be doing that with worse sets and 2 pair (which btw he could also be shoving over your smaller raise OTR making it a little dangerous to r/f in my eyes).

Now that you have underrepresented your hand very much AND the FDs bust out I think he will also be more likely to even call a shove with worse.

Live Trainer

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 01:52 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Interesting. It was my thoughts that this reg isn't bad enough to be calling off a river shove with undersets or two pair combos.

I guess I am giving him too much credit?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com