Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder Promotion

Old
Bankroll Builder Promotion - Sun Dec 15, 2013, 07:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
Hello PSO! It's great that I finally found out about this community. I've already learnt a lot about poker in the little time I've been around, and I would really like to take part in the Bankroll Builder Promotion and I am awaiting further instructions.

Old
Sun Dec 15, 2013, 11:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 16, 2013, 09:41 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello ThisIsGCH,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After watching this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Mon Dec 16, 2013, 04:15 PM
(#4)
Thanks for your answer. I did watch the Getting Started video and read everything about PSO.
This is a hand I'm having doubts about:

I probably shouldn't have slow-played it but.. How should have I played it?

And I passed the Poker Basic course before posting.

Last edited by ThisIsGCH; Mon Dec 16, 2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 03:44 AM
(#5)
Hi ThisIsGCH,

Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers!

flophitter

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:25 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ThisIsGCH!

With a bad hand in Q5o, I get 5 limpers in front of me. Being out of position, I only want to be playing premium hands due to the huge disadvantage that I have postflop. Due to this, I need to fold preflop. One problem that many players have is that they play too many hands from the SB because they can 'get in cheap'. In actuality, this is a large chip leak for them. From the SB, I want to be playing the fewest hands compared to any other seat at the table.

If I saw the flop (which I would not), when I hit two pair, here's why I don't want to play hands like this.... I have absolutely no clue whether I'm ahead or behind. If I'm ahead, then I want to make a standard value bet. If I'm behind, I want to check and fold to any bet. I do not want to check/call because then on the turn, I'll be in the same situation (not knowing whether I'm ahead or behind).
With this many players in the pot, someone most likely has a ten or better queen, so I'm going to check and fold to any bet. I definitely do not want to raise here. The only way I'd want to raise is if my lead bet gets raised and I had a ten. Anything else is too weak.

Slowplaying is something that I don't want to do. The only time I can slowplay a hand is if there is not a single card in the deck that can beat me and that will not be the case very often.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 03:02 PM
(#7)
Thanks for the tips. I normally don't play these hands but as you said, the low entry fee tempted me to go in and I slow played to see if anyone had a 10. Overall, it was a bad play.

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 05:57 PM
(#8)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:50 AM
(#9)
I used the money for a 1/2 cent table but unfortunately it didn't quite work out for me. I'm playing a little to agressive IMO. This hand might show that:

Was this a right approach or not? I find it quite bad because any one of them could of had an Ace and my hand would have been obsolete. But because of the high bet they might have thought the same thing about me. They might have even thought I had pocket Aces.

As for the question:
- To put pressure on the opponents
- To bluff people off decent hands
- To protect his hand against strong draws

And I passed the quiz.

Last edited by ThisIsGCH; Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:03 PM
(#10)
Hi ThisIsGCH,

Thanks for the hand, we'll have it checked out soon, then I can award your 2nd bonus and we can move to the next step.

flophitter

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:07 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsGCH View Post
I used the money for a 1/2 cent table but unfortunately it didn't quite work out for me. I'm playing a little to agressive IMO. This hand might show that:

Was this a right approach or not? I find it quite bad because any one of them could of had an Ace and my hand would have been obsolete. But because of the high bet they might have thought the same thing about me. They might have even thought I had pocket Aces.

As for the question:
- To put pressure on the opponents
- To bluff people off decent hands
- To protect his hand against strong draws

And I passed the quiz.
Hi ThisIsGCH!

Preflop you can complete from the small blind or raise as you did. Completing keeps the pot small and makes it easy to get away from the hand on bad flops. Raising is a semi-bluff and lets you rep an A or K on the flop. If you are going to raise, I suggest making it 3bb plus 1bb for each limper. So here make it 10c rather than 6c. 6 is so small compared to the pot that it encourages players to call rather than fold. Also note, since both villains limp-called, it is more likely that they have a mediocre hand rather than a big ace or premium pair.

As played you get two callers and paired flop. Paired flops make it less likely that they help the opponents. Moreover, the A is more likely to have helped your repped hand than the villains. C-betting is good here. However, overbetting the pot with a huge all in is a serious mistake. This gets you value owned. This means that you bet so much that only hands beating yours will call. This results in your losing much more than necessary when you are behind. On the other hand, you also bet so much that all the hands you are beating will fold. This results in your winning less money than you could have all the times you are ahead.

I suggest sticking to a standard c-bet. For a dry board like this just bet half the pot. If the board is draw heavy bet 70% or so.

Note: at 2NL players call too often with mediocre hands. This makes bluffing bad because they just dont fold enough. The best strategy is to value bet every chance you get with your strong made hands. Strong hands that you can risk your stack on are sets or better. With one pair hands we shouldnt try for more than one or two streets of value.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
(#12)
I made the raise that low by mistake and you are right. They might have folded from the begining if I had made the bet higher. As for the all-in, it's a bad habit I'm trying to get rid of. And also, value betting is a thing I'm trying to add in my game. I am not a good poker player and I'm learning from my mistakes, so thank you for your analysis. I have a small question though. Is there a thread for hand analysis on the forum? Or this is going to happen only in the promotion?

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#13)
Hello ThisIsGCH,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far. And to answer your question, yes there are forum threads, in the Poker Education section. Here's the one for NLHE Cash Game hands that you can post in after you complete this promotion:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-Hand-Analysis

Ok, your next tasks:

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 08:35 PM
(#14)
Hello again. I lost the money before reaching 10VPP (although I was close) and I made the blatant mistake of not saving the hands I lost the money in. Is there something else to be done or I lost the last part of the bonus?

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:10 AM
(#15)
Hi ThisIsGCH

Real money hands are stored on PokerStars' server, but for play money hands you need to select the option to store hands on your hard drive. So if you go to the poker software lobby and look under the Requests menu, you'll see an option to have your recent hand history emailed to you.

Just let me know if you need any more help.

flophitter

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 05:36 AM
(#16)
Thanks for the reply. I got the hands and here they are:
The first one is the hand I lost, imo, by being overconfident in the strength of my hand:

And this is more like a frustration hand because of the big loss that got me decked:

I am slowly getting by my bad habits but there are many of them. I need to play more to stop doing mistakes like these and I'll be doing that for sure. What do you suggest based on these hands?

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 04:37 PM
(#17)
Hi ThisIsGC,

That's great, we'll have these hands looked at within 24 hrs.

#flophitter

Old
Fri Dec 20, 2013, 10:36 AM
(#18)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi,

Hand Analysis

Sitting on such a deep stack depth of almost 250bb I'd proceed with caution, there are several players left to act behind us and it increases the chances of a higher pocket pair being present. Also, versus a tight 3bet range AK AQ AJ AT AA KK QQ JJ TT are certainly well within their range. When the villain 4bets us I fold my hand, versus most of their range we are either in a coin flip or dominated by a high pocket pair.

Hand Analysis

It's easier said than done, but try to maintain your composure after taking a beat that almost felts us. Taking frustration from a previously played hand into a newly dealt hand will impair ability to make clear optimal decisions and could ultimately impact our win rate for the session and bank roll. On this depth of money in early position this hand is fold, there are just to many combos and villains left to act behind us that could have us beat.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 20, 2013, 04:47 PM
(#19)
Hi ThisIsGCH,

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus has been processed and it will be in your account shortly!

Now to earn your fourth and final bonus, keep applying the principles you have learned at the same tables as before until you have earned a further 10 VPPs, counting from when you receive this latest bonus.

If you lose your bankroll, please post the losing hand(s) for analysis. As ever, if you have any questions we are here for you.

flophitter

Old
Sun Dec 22, 2013, 03:09 PM
(#20)
Congratulations ThisIsGCH!

As you've earned enough VPPs we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

flophitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com