Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6-max Zoom QTs

Old
10NL 6-max Zoom QTs - Mon Dec 16, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, villain is unknown.
Should I consider checking back the turn ? I thought that I shouldn't since 9x could call and there were draws out there.

Cheers!

Old
Mon Dec 16, 2013, 07:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I think checking back the turn is better.

This hand probably only worth two streets of value, worse hands won't call down all three streets. Therefore I think bet - check - bet is optimal.

Old
Mon Dec 16, 2013, 09:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I use the bet-check-bet line quite often with one pair, but I think bet-bet-check is probably best on this board, for the reasons given in OP. There's value to be gained from worse pairs, flush and straight draws on the first two streets here.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 04:52 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi fp!

As spand42 mentions, with top pair marginal kicker, we shouldn't expect more than one or two streets of value. Betting the flop looks great. You keep the initiative. You have top pair and you want to bet both for value and to protect your hand by giving draws/overcards a bad price.

On the turn, not much has changed unless the villain has 108. Most drawing hands are still drawing. I prefer to bet the turn for the same reason we bet the flop. We want to protect against the draws/overcards AND get value from opponents chasing them. If we wait until the river the villain will know if they got there. If they didn't you won't gain more value from them. If they did get there, then you don't want to put more in the pot.

Checking the turn keeps the pot under control, but seems to lose you value on all the river. As Arty mentions, bet-bet-check seems to gain more value for you more times than not. A read on the villain would help.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com