Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Loose blind defense

Old
Loose blind defense - Mon Dec 16, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
Hello, folks!

This is a hand from MY FIRST TOURNAMENT VICTORY! Yes, I won my first Poker Tournament mostly thanks to the enhanced skills I've been acquiring in PSO.

This was an interesting spot to me because I had 65s in the BB and there was a raise and a call before me. I'd like to tell you what I was thinking at that particular moment pre-flop to make this call and then you guys maybe can comment on my thought process to help me learn and grow from this.

I would have to play this hand out of position, which is terrible, but my idea was to try to win a big pot by hitting a monster in a multi-way hand. There was a limper, a raiser and a caller, so I elected to see a flop and try to hit a hand, which obviously didn't happen, so I insta-folded the flop. My plan was to check-raise the flop if I hit a draw or 2-pair, fold any 1-pair hands or try to see a cheap showdown. I know sets are typically different because you either hit them and get your money in, or don't and fold, while with suited connectors you generally flop draws and have to chase them on multiple streets to get your money's worth. I know this because one of you guys commented that on another of my posts (was it John or Artysmokes? Sorry, can't remember!)

That has gotten me wondering: is this too loose a call or is it a profitable play such as set-mining in a multi-way pot?

Thanks in advance.

Take it EZ!

Old
Mon Dec 16, 2013, 05:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Grats on your first tourney victory! What tourney was it?

I treat the first couple of levels like a cash game. You only have to invest two more big blinds out of your 75BB stack, I think it's a call that's definitely on the loose side, but not too bad. As long as you're check/folding nearly every flop apart from where you flop a monster.

Old
Mon Dec 16, 2013, 08:27 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2013
It was a private tourney by a Brazilian Poker website called MaisEV. MaisEV VIP Etapa II - 1k GTD, I got $215. Not too shabby for a PSO member who participated in the Bankroll Builder promotion last month and was playing on an $18 previously hehe.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, that was the plan. Flopping a monster or getting the hell out. What if I flopped a draw, though? Should I check-call or check-raise? I was planning to check-raise strong draws like flush or straight or combos as well as two-pair, check-folding gutshots. Would you recommend that play?

Thanks!

Old
Mon Dec 16, 2013, 09:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
You're very deep stacked here, so calling is fine, even though you're out of position. With suited connectors, I tend to want implied odds of 20:1, by which I mean I want stacks to be at least 20 times the price of calling. In a typical tourney or STT with 75bb, you'll rarely have the right price and should be more concerned with conserving chips, but here the effective stack is around 3k (150bb), and you need to call 40 chips. That's implied odds of a whopping 75 to 1! You definitely have good odds to try and flop a monster, and you also have room to make a check-raise with a monster draw. Just don't get attached to one pair, especially multiway. Play "spike or hike", like you did here. If you miss completely (or flop third pair) just check-fold.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 05:29 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Max_Kane

The guys have done a really good job analyzing this hand already but. When we see flops wit this type of hand I think we very much ought to be playing the spike or hike" game that Arty mentioned.

Ultimately I think calling is fine but only because we have a lot of chips and that we're going to be in a multiway pot.

Cheers, Chris.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com