Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

16nl - Ax range percentage?

Old
16nl - Reg Ax range OTR? - Tue Dec 17, 2013, 05:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Stats: VPIP: 29, PFR: 18, 3B: 8, AF: 3.3, Hands: 353

Additional Stats: F3B: 62%, FCbet Flop: 50%

Villain is an aggressive regular who I have quite a bit of history with. We'd been going at it 3betting, 4betting etc for a fair bit of this session on multiple tables.

I believe he's on the level that I would barrel this river with a large % of bluffs, and check hands like QQ or KK. Since i'm pretty polarized I believe he could level himself into calling with a mid PP or any Jx.

However, he may have some Ax range, such as Ax, am ambitious A9 or AJ.

I think it's rare that he'll have a complete float like AK (which would 4b GII BvB given our dynamic) or AQ once he calls two streets unless he has the nut flush draw.

A friend actually said that he preferred jamming to look completely polarized. Would this be better?

Last edited by birdayy; Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 06:29 AM..

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 07:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Interesting hand.

This villain seems to know where the fold button is so he's clearly very interested in the hand when he calls a 3Bet and calls two big barrels OOP.

I'm struggling to find a hand where you're going to get called with this thin value bet. KJ or TT seem to be the only two possibilities and even these are quite optimistic. I think he folds other Jx and PPs less than 88. You're now losing to AKss, AQss, AJ, A9.

I think AA, KK, sets and J9 would have x/r the turn because of the fairly wet board and maybe your history but I guess he could've slowplayed all three streets if he felt you were likely to bet out all three streets.

Therefore I think a value bet here is too thin and I'd just check it to showdown.

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi birdayy,

Nice spot. I think there's merit to 3 different options:

-Jamming to completely polarize ourselves.
-Betting small (like 5.50) to induce action from Jx/9x hands, both increasing their calling frequency, and sometimes inducing hands the weaker hands like 9x to turn themselves in to a bluff and check/jam (opponent specific... this guy as described seems like a good candidate).
-Checking back.

While they all have their merits, my personal preference here is option 2. I think it creates the most doubt about our holding. While it's true that villain might expect us to bluff this card, it's also true that villain should expect a fair portion of our light 3b range preflop includes Ax. So jamming might look a bit like a range merge going for value from Jx (exactly what we're proposing trying to do). I think a K river works better for what you're hoping to accomplish with a jam, since it's also a card you might bluff, while missing Ax at the same time. Checking back is the safe route of course, but as described probably misses too much value from Jx/9x hands in this dynamic.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 07:54 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
Cheers Dave.

I talked a bit more about this hand with skype buddies.

I think it basically comes down to what level the villain is on.

If he's a smart player then he should know that he needs to be calling more often vs a jam with 9x or Jx because we are completely polarised.

If he is an average player then we won't recognise this, and will call a small bet simply due to 'pot odds', and not the fact that our bet looks like thin value.

Personally vs Dave I think i'd be jamming for example.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 10:21 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
Personally vs Dave I think i'd be jamming for example.
I'm not sure how you could jam the river when you're all in on the turn.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com