Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6-max - Underboat

Old
2NL 6-max - Underboat - Tue Dec 17, 2013, 08:51 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Villain is unknown, don't normally play regular tables.

I'll be honest, I just kind of put him on a flush kind of on auto-pilot thinking. Was my judgement perhaps clouded by me having a good hand and that's just what I wanted him to have? Really not sure if I could have got away from this or if it was just a weird spot where I got coolered. Would appreciate thoughts on ranging the villain in this hand and what I perhaps should have done.

Thanks

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 10:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
I'd lead flop.

Not sure why we are 3betting the turn so small either. I'd prefer a raise to $0.45 or so. River sizing is fine and of course we aren't folding. Just a cooler.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 10:46 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I lead flop too. To stack off, villain can have an overplayed A3 and a bunch of flushes, and the less likely TT, 99, 44, 43s. He might even have slowplayed AA and then gone a bit crazy trying to regain value after limping pre.
Never folding the third nuts when only 4 combos of 99/TT beat me.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:13 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
I would raise preflop, with only one limper in the hand, prepared to fold to a 3-bet. The way the hand played out, I wouldn't be able to include 99 in his/her range. Once you get the boat on the turn, you can't fold, sadly. The only way to get out of this hand cheaply is to get him to make you fold before the flop.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 09:14 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi all,

We got a pretty unlucky cooler here.

I actually think we can find a fold on this river if we slow down and think it through. Don't settle for just saying it's a cooler, nothing we can do. Anytime something unexpected happens, stop and ask yourself what it means.

The huge overbet shove on the river screams value. Would he do this with a flush on a paired board? Some players will and some won't of course, but here I think we have to consider that we bet/3b the turn, which makes OUR hand look like we have at least a flush. If he had a small flush and is just playing his own cards (not considering the strength we've shown), he will probably either 4b the turn or simply call down. If he has the nut flush, he is probably 4 betting the turn. With any flush, it makes little sense to me that he would just flat our turn 3b, then make a huge all in overbet shove on the river.

So that leaves full houses. Most players are generally not limping with 93. So hands that make sense are 99, TT and maybe 44 if he's wild on the turn (not likely but not impossible). We can also rule out 43s as there are no combos of that holding possible (and only 1 combo of 93s if we speculate he plays any 2 suited cards).

Therefore the vast majority of his value shoving range beats us. A bluff would make no sense here, given the great strength we've shown (we look like at least a flush) he doesn't expect us to fold, he expects us to call. It's very tough fold to find for sure, but there's just nothing else this line represents tbh. For this price we have to call 4.24 into a pot of 6.10, so we have to be right 41% of the time to break even. While he can certainly be doing something that completely makes no sense with the nut flush some of the time, is he doing so this often? I'm not optimistic that he is.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 09:16 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horanda View Post
Once you get the boat on the turn, you can't fold, sadly.
Zeebo's Theorem ftw.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:40 AM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2012
Thanks Dave. I think I just made myself believe it was a flush, possibly because I wouldn't expect a limp with 99, but never thought through how he would play a flush. I guess I sometimes need to slow down and think a hand through, I was kicking myself after this one.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 05:29 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm with Dave on this one.

I just go with the theory that whenever recreational players do a massive overbet all-in on the river - it's ALWAYS with the nuts.

As strong (and disguised) as our hand is, I think a fold on the river is the best play.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com