Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Confusion over two concepts.

Old
Confusion over two concepts. - Tue Dec 17, 2013, 10:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
Hi all.

I'm a 6 max cash game player, currently grinding at 5nl where I'm trying to improve my game and bankroll before I move up to the next level. I've watched lot lot of the relevant archived live training vids, particularly ones by the Langolier that focus on ranging/reading opponents. I thought I understood two concepts about post flop play but frequently they seem to be contradictory in my head. I'm sure it's just me not thinking it through properly so I wondered if you guys could help clarify.

1) If you are ahead of your opponents range and he bets, if raising here would make him fold out the majority of his range which you beat, but he would continue with everything that beats you, it's better to call for value.

2) If an opponent bets into you and you have a stronger hand than his range, however you're well aware that you will get no value from him on future streets unless he improves to better than your holding, it's better to just take the pot here.

These two concepts seem to be at odds with each other in certain scenarios. I hope I explained them well enough. Would be really appreciative if you guys could point out where I've got a but lost. Cheers

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 10:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
1) In a lot of situations raising isolates the part of the villains range that beat us. By calling we keep his range wider (and weaker) which we have the majority of beat. So yes, in a lot of situations it's better to call. However, poker is a complicated game and there are many reasons to raise, which is almost impossible to explain in a sentence or two.

2) It's not necessarily better to raise him off a weak range, because we'll fold out bluffs. It's also important to understand that you don't have perfect information regarding him not betting on future streets.

Old
Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:02 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2011
Well we never have perfect information in poker, but we're trying to play as well as we can to the information we have. For example we could know that a player will fire out a c-bet on the flop a large proportion of the time, but if he gets called, gets scared and plays passively. That doesn't seem too uncommon. I thinking a tight passive player who by definition is easy to throw off pots unless he has something he likes.

This seems to leave us with two options when we think we're ahead on the flop: flat or raise.
If we call we give him a free card which we know we're getting no value from unless he improves. If we raise, we're only facing the range that could beat us.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com