Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

What's next for Sandtrap777

Old
What's next for Sandtrap777 - Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:12 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Sandtrap777's 2014 goals

Sooooo, what should be my next goal?

Of course I would like to stay Supernova, I know I can still achieve Supernova with less time since I've move up in stakes, but if I'm to find a goal that excites me to the point of continuing learning and enjoying the game with no more than 15 hours a week than Supernova will not be my major goal.

I've been looking at different options

- Mtt's are pretty much out of the question. They take to much time, which I don't have. When you look at stats from some of the best players, they're in the money (ITM) at about 20% or more. This means cashing 20 games out of 100 and these players average about 2 final tables per 100. With 15 hours a week, that's about 5-6 tournaments a week or 25 tournaments a month and with 4 tables that makes it about 100 tournaments a month. At an average of $20 per tournament, that's about 1,100 Vpp's or SilverStar. In all honesty, not a great motivation.
- Sng's seemed interesting. I calculated that playing 10 tables of $7 9 man, I would play about 500 games a month. This would give me about 1,700 Vpp's or SilverStar. After calculations, also not very interesting.
- This leaves cash games. I could always continue my stake rise, but in all honesty I'm exhausted, pretty much strained out.

So now what?

During my last few weeks of grinding the cash tables, during my vacation and the last month, I took a very hard look at what I had achieve and how I achieve it. Playing 20 hours a week, watching about 2 hours of videos, going over my hands, attending some classes and reading articles. All of this was a total of about 30 hours a week.

PokerStars as send me an invite to send them my CV for applying as Team PokerStars Player. But unfortunately, I have to decline. The terms are to demanding just for a hobby.

I'm 55, semi retired and financially at ease. I don't need to make a living from poker, it's mainly a hobby. As someone once said, "if it's no longer fun, take a break", well this time as come. I'm sorry to say, but as of December 31st, I will no longer be playing poker, except for friendly games and maybe a few games here and there (mainly promotions).

I will also no longer be active in PSO forums (maybe just a little). I know that my style of playing as upset a few people and my comments sometime offends some members, therefore I'll be keeping my 2 cents for myself. I've made some great friends, especially every member of the "Tank". I've also met in person lots of you in Windsor, Atlantic City, Vegas and here in Montreal. Finally. I want to THANK all the trainers, especially Dave, Felix and Gareth. Thank you also John (JWK24) and Paul (Royalraise85).

Final word, if you want to learn to be a winning player, PSO is a good place to learn and to succeed, BUT only if you put an effort. If anybody has questions, just send me a PM.

It was a pleasure and thank you to all those that have followed me the last 2 1/2 years.

PS. Over the 2 1/2 years, I've donated to PSO members and PokerStars through Gifts, Bounties, BR starters, add-on's to tournament, stakes and donations. So I decided to give out $36.49 to whom ever finishes in 1st place in a special tournament which will bring the total to $1,500

Info:
Sandtrap777's Appreciation Tournament
December 27th at 7 PM EST in the PokerSchoolOnline Community
NL, 3,000 chips, 10 minutes and $0.50 buy-in
Added prize of $36.49 will be shipped to the winner

(Raiser will be creating the tournament, wait for it)

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 01:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
I'll copy what I said in my reply to your blog, here:

Wow, I wasn't really expecting that one, though I can appreciate that the stress that poker brings, at higher stakes especially, is something that a financially sound person can do without.

I'll own up to being one of those who has at times been irked by something you have said and/or the way that you have said it. At times though that has been my own fault because I was not being clear in what I was trying to say or actually trying to discuss.

In any event, I found the majority of your posts to be helpful.

Best of luck with the rest of your life and enjoy the semi-retirement.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
It's gonna be a shame not having your input in the forum. Having a higher stake players' opinion is always useful.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 04:10 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
onya mate.............. stay kool

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 04:44 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
Wow.....gobsmacked as us English say.

I also feel worn out from poker, but when I have a break from stars I end up on other sites, I also put the hours in each week spending a total of about 16 hours on poker education each week, then my table time on top of this, I may not be the best at math but my reading abilities have really started to shine and one of the reasons I keep trying to make it on stars is because of you. I am aged 42 now and have questioned my time and effort in poker so many times and then there's you, a perfect example of what can be achieved if you really want it. You have come so far my friend and to throw in the towel now?

May I suggest, having a break and seeing how you feel in a few months time, poker is a beast that's hard to walk away from and if I had your skill then I would be playing constantly.

I really hope you reconsider, I know you don't want to put the hours in that a pro has too, but what about becoming a live trainer? Have you given this any thought? I think that would be great fun for you.

I wish you all the best in life and I am really sorry to hear your going.

Gl.PP72

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:03 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
It was a pleasure and thank you to all those that have followed me the last 2 1/2 years.
The pleasure was ours Sand, you're a great guy and have been a great inspriation to a lot of members that signed-up here. I do hope you pop-in as much as you can and keep in touch.

The tournament on Dec 27th is now open for registration in the Home Game, I'll be playing for sure.

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:35 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
Plot twist: Sandtrap running for mayor.
Seriously though, you will be missed, because your posts on strategy were always very accurate and helpful, hopefully you can squeeze some time in the future for pso.
Wish you the best!

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:10 AM
(#8)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
It was a pleasure reading you here Sandtrap, we'll miss you.

Have fun out there without poker

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:23 AM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2010
Wow definitely did not see that comming, but I can understand your motivation. In that case the way you ended your poker "carreer" is just absolutely awesome!! I wish you all the best and you'll be missed here at PSO!

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:41 AM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2010
I've not been on these forums long but I've really enjoyed your posts and your road to Supernova is testament to how far hard work can get you.

If you're financially stable I can totally understand why a poker grind seems unattractive.

I hope you'll continue to come on this forum from time to time, it's far better to have blunt opinion rather than no opinion at all!

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 06:51 AM
(#11)
Hi Sandtrap

i would like to say what you have achieved is to me amazing and you are an inspiration to any one on pso and goes to show that the proof is in the pudding that if you put the time and effort into the learning that goals can be achieved as you have shown.

I do not post to often on here as i kind of feel inferior to alot of peeps on here and feel that i can not really comment on topics that others know so much more about,but im quite happy to sit back and read others comments and tips and strategies and for me and i guess alot of others your input will be sorely missed.

Someone suggested that maybe you could do live training if you did this i think you would have plenty of pupils.

Well good luck to you Sandtrap in what ever you do (but somehow dont think you will need luck)
all the best.
jokerace68
paul

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 07:47 AM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
Trap,

Thanks for the time and effort you have given to this forum. You are an example to all who desire to improve their game. You will be missed here.

In your honor, I would like to address the point below.

Quote:
I do not post to often on here as i kind of feel inferior to alot of peeps on here and feel that i can not really comment on topics that others know so much more about,but im quite happy to sit back and read others comments and tips and strategies and for me and i guess alot of others your input will be sorely missed.
To who are hesitant to post for this reason,

Sandtrap is living proof and a great example that learning is an active, not passive, process. It does not happen without motivation and motivation, in spite of what you may have heard, is 100% internal. Yes, external factors definitely affect our motivation but that is our choice. We choose to be derailed instead of merely hindered.

Passivity in learning leads to short-term "knowledge" and is easily forgotten. Active learning reinforces and adds personal meaning/insight/interpretation. It becomes ingrained in us and given enough time and effort it will be like riding a bicycle. You can lay it down for years but when you decide to mount again you're comfortable in minutes add regain your proficiency much faster than you did initially.

I enjoy working things out by myself, but i have found that discussion, especially defending a position, is more effective. So I invite you, in honor of Sandtrap, to step out of your comfort zone, where learning is rare, and push yourself to learn actively through participation. It's your decision and your's alone.

And remember, when honestly asked, there are no stupid questions. Stupid answers? Yes! But never for an honest question. Don't let the sometimes childish acts of others derail you.

Good decisions to all and all the best to Sandtrap777,

Joe

Last edited by TrumpinJoe; Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 07:52 AM..

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 08:02 AM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
The pleasure was ours Sand, you're a great guy and have been a great inspriation to a lot of members that signed-up here. I do hope you pop-in as much as you can and keep in touch.

The tournament on Dec 27th is now open for registration in the Home Game, I'll be playing for sure.

Cheers,
Raiser
+1000

Hey Sand,

You are... & will remain an inspiration to all PSO members / aspiring poker players.

All the very best in all of your future endeavours.

Tony

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 11:31 AM
(#14)
Place won't be the same without you Sand.
Your contributions here and the Tank are priceless and your generosity appreciated.
Certainly not surprised by your success because of all the focus and work you put in.
Hope to see you in some friendly's
All the best Sand
Steve

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 11:44 AM
(#15)
Since: Jul 2010
A Proven Winner in Poker and in life

Cheers Man

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:35 PM
(#16)
Since: Feb 2011
I do hope you dip in from time to time Sandtrap, you've been an inspiration to many on the forums and have proved that with learning, hard work and dedication anyone can achieve their aims.

I wish you well whatever you do in the future.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 01:07 PM
(#17)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Well, this is a very interesting development from a goal-setting perspective, because ... cobbling together some of the stuff you've said in your end of year recaps, it's kind of sounding like, while having a goal helped give you reason to keep going (like, that desire to want to see things through), it came at a bit of a cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
As someone once said, "if it's no longer fun, take a break", well this time as come.
From Sandtrap's Time Vault end of year recap - my 2013 recap:

Quote:
during the year, a few times, I was ready to quit
Like if follow-through required you to keep going, even after it may have stopped being fun, and if you spent on average about 30hrs/week playing when and only wanted to spend at max say like 20 ... maybe the stuff to be learned from that, might be that:

(1) when it comes to goal-setting, sometimes stuff might come up that's going to make it harder to achieve our goals than we're anticipating? So maybe we should think up contingencies in advance or something?

(2) and maybe with year-long goals, maybe it's okay to be a little more flexible with them during the year, since a year is a really long time?

Kind of hard to find the right balance, because everything I've been reading about setting goals has been saying that it's important to set ones that aren't easy to reach.

So ... I don't know - just some random thoughts I guess ...

Anyways, 15hrs of poker's no small amount - sounds like you'll still be playing quite a bit Probably that'll still be more than enough time at the tables to make enough $ for another luxurious cruise And hopefully the more relaxing pace'll make poker fun again - definitely that should always be the number one goal no matter what

Hope you have a wonderful 2014 Sandtrap!! Thanks for doing all this stuff with the goal-setting - it's been really interesting to learn more about it, and to try it out

Last edited by TrustySam; Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 02:15 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Sometimes it's kind of cool to feel pressure from something outside ourselves to see something through I think - like, it can definitely be a motivating force? It must feel pretty darn sweet to have made Supernova - you did it!! And if not for the goal-setting ... like if your primary goal had been to have fun, probably that might not have happened.

This is a much smaller scale example of feeling pressure from outside ourselves to do something that wound up being a motivating force in a good way, but like I've been complaining all week about having to do that Time Vault year-end summary, and now that it's done ... it was actually kind of cool to have had to take a minute out of my regular routine to stop and reflect on the year!

Maybe sometimes having a 'little' push can be good

Last edited by TrustySam; Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 02:18 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 02:17 PM
(#19)
If you're going to devote this new free time into attending Habs games I predict you're back by late April...at the latest.

(Some joker from the GTA dared me to say that...).

Seriously man,place won't be the same without you (for one thing I'm a virtual lock to win the "who gets perma-banned from the forum first" race now...).

If you get to missing it you know it will still be here for you,so until it makes sense for you and the fires are stoked again do what you feel.

And should that day never come it's gotta be cool to know you went out on top and crushing it.

Best to you and yours and may all your endeavors and pursuits bring you fulfillment.

Old
I Will Miss You, My Friend - Wed Dec 18, 2013, 02:40 PM
(#20)
Since: Jan 2013
BronzeStar

Greetings My Friend,

For 15 years or so I played high-level bridge, wrote bridge books, taught bridge, was married to a man who,

as an expert, (and a dear friend & wonderful dad) continues to play bridge regularly. I burnt out and here I

I am! I so understand your decision but I will miss just knowing you are 'here' as I so

appreciate your blogs and your generosity. I refuse NOT to send you messages, from time to time, to see

how you and large family are doing! As said over and over, you are a terrific model, especially for folks

like me who started learning/playing poker just a year ago as of this January. Be proud of your

accomplishments and know how proud so many are of you. I am sad but I celebrate your accomplishments.

Hugs,

Ellen

P.S. JokerAce68 please know that folks here are very supportive. I remember my first blog which was a
mess in terms of poker language. Responses helped me so please consider joining in anytime!

Last edited by DrEllenCait; Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 03:24 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com