Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl zoom. AK, Tptk fold on Turn reraise?

Old
5nl zoom. AK, Tptk fold on Turn reraise? - Wed Dec 18, 2013, 02:06 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013

- no history with villain
- don't reload full stack

PF:
- villain opens with minbet and calls 3bet.
- (my read) discounted monster hand such as AA, KK since he did not reraise

Flop:
- villain calls.
- (my read) on such a dry board, he could not have continued w/ a draw. Placed him on a monster hand (sets, 2 pairs) or a showdown hand (Ax, medium pocket pairs)

Turn:
- villain reraise
- (my read) highly probable to have a monster (sets, two pairs)

River:
- played check/call as I'm committed to call

Question:
- upon my review, I had all the reason to fold my tptk on the turn. Am I correct on this?

I was thinking with the villain not full stack I have odds to call and be committed to the river. I'm still having a little trouble learning to let go of my tptk on such occasions.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi kala,

I'm finding it hard to justify folding the best pair with the best kicker in a 3-bet pot vs. a short stacker at any point in time tbh.

First I would 3b this guy larger, at least .30c and .35c would be my preference, if he's got a legit hand he's not folding, no reason to give him a fair price with more speculative holdings and position us.

As played the stack to pot ratio is 7 which against a probable fishy short stacker I'm happy to stack off top/top. C-bet larger than half the pot imo... he's either got a big ace or doesn't, and he's not folding an ace but is probably folding pockets that missed to any sizing.

On the river, very important point... I only like check/calling if we have an eye towards inducing bluffs. Given the board run out and action sequence in this hand, it seems extremely unlikely he can have a bluff here. So in this case, if we are willing to call his last 1.88, we should simply bet it ourselves and set him all in. If he flopped a set or aces up, we are going to pay him off either way, but if he's got a hand like AJ/AT/Ax he might decide to check down the river and not bet for us, being concerned we have AK/AQ... if we've decided to pay off his bigger hands anyway, we should make sure we get paid in kind when ahead.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 11:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2013
Hi Lango,

Thanks for the insights, especially on the x/call part. I'll try to incorporate that thought more.

I cbet half pot only since I thought the board is dry so there is not much protection needed and it would allow him to call with much worse hands.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com