Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-Max Zoom: AA tough turn decision?

Old
5NL 6-Max Zoom: AA tough turn decision? - Wed Dec 18, 2013, 08:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Raiser in MP plays 34/23/2.3 over 300 hands, Fold to 3Bet is only 25%, CB flop and turn is 67% each and is mildly sticky post flop with WTSD 35%.

I realise my raise on the flop was not very big but what should I do on the turn? I think I have to fold/shove at this point based on the remaining stack sizes.

What worse hands can do this? call a 3Bet pre, call a raise on the flop and then bet the turn? I can only think JJ-KKs possibly? possibly 99s? possibly A8s,98s? However at this level I have seen this done with AT.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 08:27 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
We should be raising the flop to set up a nice size turn shove.

Making it $1.5 vs his donk will set up a pot of $4 with ~$3 behind which makes it a nicer shove OTT.

As played just shove the turn.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 10:25 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
I think I'd shove right there on the turn, I don't see many hands on his range that are betting you right now

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
(#4)
Thanks for the feedback, I was just checking if I did the correct thing, this hand kind of tilted me and I had to stop my session for a bit. I was seeing if I could have ranged him better or made another mistake.

Last edited by Arghosarus; Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 08:43 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Arghosarus,

Curious if he donks into the preflop aggressor often? Regardless, this action is usually a 1 pair hand looking to "see where it's at" or a draw. The board is pretty dry here so unless he's got T9s it's probably a hand like A8, 98, 55, etc. Normally I will simply call in position and allow an opponent to keep firing, and bet myself if they slow down. However in this spot with a villain that is sticky and likes to show down, I prefer to raise with an eye towards getting all in on the turn. Birdayy's suggestion is good.

Also agree as played, shoving the turn is fine. If he's got T8 we can still draw out. If he's got TT, same story although less outs for us. I can still see this line with T9, 99, 98. While he doesn't seem deterred by our flop raise, I think many players who turned 2 pair+ would check-jam us more than lead again, and this guy clearly doesn't like to give up on pots, so I'm ok just going with it.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#6)
Most excellent.

I was also thinking the donk turn bet was likely to be weak now I had shown interest and was likely to bet again. However, I now have a note that for this villain its not true! However I will try not to be results-orientated and am happy my decision was correct.

Thanks all.
Keep up the absolutely fantastic video training TheLangolier.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com