Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder

Old
Bankroll builder - Wed Dec 18, 2013, 04:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Wed Dec 18, 2013, 11:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:59 AM
(#3)
Hi pvpst4r,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
(#4)
1)/3) Done.

2)

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2013, 05:13 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Please Note: Due to the holiday period please allow extra time for your Bankroll Builder reply from the Team. We will reply to your thread on December 27th.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 26, 2013, 11:10 AM
(#6)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 26, 2013, 06:50 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi pvpst4r!

With 88 in the BB, I get three limps then an abnormally small raise to 50 (a standard raise would be to 3BB+1BB for each limper or 60). With three of the four opps having over 15X the bet in their stack, I'm going to call and hope to hit a set on the flop.

The flop totally misses me and the opp now makes another abnormally small bet of 80. Bets postflop should be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 3 opps in the pot, a standard bet is 3/4 pot.
However, even with this being abnormally small, I do not have the odds to call this, so I need to muck. I'd have to put 80 into a pot of 370 (21.6%) and from the rule of 4 and 2, my two outs to a set are only worth 2% per out to the turn, so my hand is only worth 4%.. IF.. my outs would even be good, which is not the case if an opp has a 9. When my pot equity is higher than my hand equity, I need to fold as I expect to lose chips by calling.

If I saw the river (which I would not), I need to check and hope to get to a free showdown, as my hand does have showdown value. I do not want to randomly shove with absolutely nothing into a very wet board with multiple opps... that's a recipe for disaster.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 27, 2013, 10:18 AM
(#8)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks completed and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 03:12 PM
(#9)
1) I thought he had a small pair or maybe an Ace with low kicker... So it was a chance to hit my draw.
When i got flush i was convinced i was ahead. I wanted him to call my raise or even re-raise me, which he did.
He trapped me. I should have folded on turn or just called on the river.

2)3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?
  • To get value from my made hands.
  • To put pressure on an opponent.
  • To bluff.

3)I passed the Cash Game quiz.

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 11:11 PM
(#10)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 03:53 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvpst4r View Post
1) I thought he had a small pair or maybe an Ace with low kicker... So it was a chance to hit my draw.
When i got flush i was convinced i was ahead. I wanted him to call my raise or even re-raise me, which he did.
He trapped me. I should have folded on turn or just called on the river.

2)3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?
  • To get value from my made hands.
  • To put pressure on an opponent.
  • To bluff.

3)I passed the Cash Game quiz.
Hi pvpst4r!

You did a good job checking behind preflop and on the flop. Your hand is really weak. There is no reason to bluff and there is very little money in the pot. You do have some outs to a flush though. On the turn, the villain bets 4 into a pot of 5 cents. This seems like a small bet since it is only 2bbs, but compared to the potsize it is 80% of the pot. You are getting about 33% pot odds. However, you only have 9 possible flush outs. The rule of two tells us you have about an 18% chance of improving to a flush on the river. 18 is less than 33 so folding would be best. Since you are not drawing to the nut flush AND the pot is so small, I wouldn't call assuming we have good implied odds.

As played, you call and make the second best flush on the river. In spots like this where you might have the best flush, but are not sure, I tend to check-call to keep the pot small. Check-calling also gives the villain a chance to overplay weaker flushes that he might fold to a big bet.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 10:42 PM
(#12)
Hi pvpst4r,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 06:41 PM
(#13)
I think i ve earned 10 VPPs(or maybe 9... im not sure)

Anyway here is the hand i lost my bankroll. Villain was too loose. I thought he was bluffing me. Really stupid move, i should have folded preflop...
On the turn i have 3:1 pot odds and 3:1 odds to hit flush or trips right? So should i really fold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
Hi pvpst4r!
You are getting about 33% pot odds. However, you only have 9 possible flush outs. The rule of two tells us you have about an 18% chance of improving to a flush on the river. 18 is less than 33 so folding would be best. Since you are not drawing to the nut flush AND the pot is so small, I wouldn't call assuming we have good implied odds.
Roland GTX
Hey Roland
How you got 33% pot odds? 0.13pot/0.04? Shouldnt be a 0.04 call to a 0.09 pot (or 22,5%)? I must consider my own bet on the pot?

Regards.

Last edited by pvpst4r; Sat Jan 04, 2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:34 PM
(#14)

Cheers

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 04:04 AM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvpst4r View Post
I think i ve earned 10 VPPs(or maybe 9... im not sure)

Anyway here is the hand i lost my bankroll. Villain was too loose. I thought he was bluffing me. Really stupid move, i should have folded preflop...
On the turn i have 3:1 pot odds and 3:1 odds to hit flush or trips right? So should i really fold?

Hey Roland
How you got 33% pot odds? 0.13pot/0.04? Shouldnt be a 0.04 call to a 0.09 pot (or 22,5%)? I must consider my own bet on the pot?

Regards.
Hi pvpst4r!

A10s is a good hand to open with here. When you get the mini-3bet we need to be careful. Normally I recommend folding to 3bets when out of position. Your hand can play well postflop since it is suited and somewhat connected. You are getting great odds to continue so calling is fine, but proceed with caution. The villain's range is rather polarized with his 3b. Either he has a monster KK, AA and is betting small for value, or he has a weak hand and is semi-bluffing.

You get a good flop with top pair. Now you would be ahead of AK type hands, but still are behind overpairs. This spot is unclear. Yet if the villain likes to bluff, your best line would be to just call on the flop. This keeps the villain's range wide and keeps the pot under control. If he is bluffing let him keep barreling into you.

As played, the pot is getting big and the villain bets potsized on the turn. You have 9 flush outs and two 10s. 11 outs with one card to come gives you about 22%. You don't have the odds to call. So, I prefer to fold here rather than assume the villain is bluffing. At 2NL I suggest focusing on value betting rather than bluffing or bluff catching. Firstly, if you focus on only value, it is easy to remain profitable. Secondly, it keeps variance down and your budding bankroll stable. Until you get a deeper bankroll, I would avoid unclear spots like this. Play straightforward and safe and let your bankroll grow.

Regarding your pot odds question:
Odds can be expressed as a ratio, or as a percentage. As a ratio we simply compare what you need to call to the size of the pot. For example let's say there is 10 in the pot and the villain bets 10. Now the pot is 20 and you need to call 10. As a ratio we can simply say 20:10 or 2:1 pot odds. As a percentage, we need to add what you are calling to the total pot and divide by what you are calling. With the same example when you call for 10 the total pot will be 30. Therefore 10/30 or 1/3 is 33%.

With your previous hand, yes I took your call of 4 divided by the total pot of 13 cents. 4/13 is a bit less than 33%. As a ratio we can express it as 9:4 or 2.25:1. I rounded off the numbers to keep it simple.

In the A10 hand, there is 127 in the pot on the turn and the villain bets 116. Now the pot is 243 and you need to call your remaining 116. As a ratio this is 243:116 or 2.1:1 odds. As with the other hand, this gives you about 33%. You might have all diamonds and remaining 10s as outs giving you 11 outs or 22%. So you do not have proper odds to call the all in on the turn.

I hope this helps

Roland GTX

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 08:08 AM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
Hi pvpst4r!

A10s is a good hand to open with here. When you get the mini-3bet we need to be careful. Normally I recommend folding to 3bets when out of position. Your hand can play well postflop since it is suited and somewhat connected. You are getting great odds to continue so calling is fine, but proceed with caution. The villain's range is rather polarized with his 3b. Either he has a monster KK, AA and is betting small for value, or he has a weak hand and is semi-bluffing.

You get a good flop with top pair. Now you would be ahead of AK type hands, but still are behind overpairs. This spot is unclear. Yet if the villain likes to bluff, your best line would be to just call on the flop. This keeps the villain's range wide and keeps the pot under control. If he is bluffing let him keep barreling into you.

As played, the pot is getting big and the villain bets potsized on the turn. You have 9 flush outs and two 10s. 11 outs with one card to come gives you about 22%. You don't have the odds to call. So, I prefer to fold here rather than assume the villain is bluffing. At 2NL I suggest focusing on value betting rather than bluffing or bluff catching. Firstly, if you focus on only value, it is easy to remain profitable. Secondly, it keeps variance down and your budding bankroll stable. Until you get a deeper bankroll, I would avoid unclear spots like this. Play straightforward and safe and let your bankroll grow.

Regarding your pot odds question:
Odds can be expressed as a ratio, or as a percentage. As a ratio we simply compare what you need to call to the size of the pot. For example let's say there is 10 in the pot and the villain bets 10. Now the pot is 20 and you need to call 10. As a ratio we can simply say 20:10 or 2:1 pot odds. As a percentage, we need to add what you are calling to the total pot and divide by what you are calling. With the same example when you call for 10 the total pot will be 30. Therefore 10/30 or 1/3 is 33%.

With your previous hand, yes I took your call of 4 divided by the total pot of 13 cents. 4/13 is a bit less than 33%. As a ratio we can express it as 9:4 or 2.25:1. I rounded off the numbers to keep it simple.

In the A10 hand, there is 127 in the pot on the turn and the villain bets 116. Now the pot is 243 and you need to call your remaining 116. As a ratio this is 243:116 or 2.1:1 odds. As with the other hand, this gives you about 33%. You might have all diamonds and remaining 10s as outs giving you 11 outs or 22%. So you do not have proper odds to call the all in on the turn.

I hope this helps

Roland GTX

Hey Roland GTX! Thank you for your time.

Thnx for clearing that out. So only when i want to find percentage i count my call to the pot size. Therefore on the previous hand, i have 11 outs and 2.1:1 pot odds and not 3:1. Yeah that was easy fold. Next time i ll be more concentrated.

By the way, odds expressed as a percentage seems to me a bit more "accurate". I ll stick to the way you calculate the odds. Thnx again.

@HokyPokyToo

Yeah i checked my VIP status and i ve earned the 10VPPs (10.79 to be correct)
But i havent be credited the bonus. Shouldnt be auto? I hope i get it soon.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 09:15 AM
(#17)
Hi pvpst4r,

Remember that the 10 VPPs must come after your last bonus was issued, also our system can take as much as 72 hours to update. Hope this helps.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 09:17 AM
(#18)
Hi pvpst4r,

Remember that the 10 VPPs must come after your last bonus was issued. Also, though the system is automated, it can take as much as 72 hours to update. Hope this helps.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:16 AM
(#19)
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the hand analysis forums in the Poker Education section. Also, it is a good idea to review some of the content on Bankroll Management at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com