Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.5 KO Is this a good call?

Old
$1.5 KO Is this a good call? - Thu Dec 19, 2013, 05:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
I knew he has a big hand, Ax+. I covered him. I could have just let this one slip and maintain my chip lead and continue the pressure.

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 06:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Heads-up play is very important to master as this is where the bulk of the prize money lies in any given tourney.

You have a decent 3:1 chip lead, with you having 45BB and villain having 15BB. Therefore villain is almost in shove/fold mode.

The relative hand strength in HU play is much wider than in normal play, basic odds mean that most of the time, one or both of you will have complete trash. Any A-high hand is very strong, K-high hands are strong and pocket pairs are basically the nuts.

You get dealt TT - a super strong hand. You are 4:1 dog to AA-JJ (1.8% of hands), better than flipping against hands with two cards of J+ (9% of hands) and crushing the rest (90% of hands).

I don't know what the dynamics were HU, but I think your pre-flop raise is too big. Most of the time when you raise PF HU, you are going to have a marginal/bad hand, therefore you don't want to make a big pot with these hands. Some people prefer to limp preflop, I always like to minraise or fold all of my holdings, whether strong or weak so villain doesn't know the strength of my hand.

Villain could be shoving with a wide range, any A-high, K-high, Q-high, PP, suited connectors, broadway cards.

Therefore when he shoves you should be delighted to call knowing that you will be way ahead a lot of the time and likely end the tournament right there.

As it turns out, villain also had a monster but even so, you are still ahead. Even though villain won, you are only marginally behind in chips and it is still all to play for.

You played the hand very well.

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 07:56 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
You can't get away from TT with these stacks HU. To put into perspective your hand strength, there is only a 1 in 17 chance of him holding any pair, let alone an over pair and even if he does have an over pair, you are not drawing dead.

Personally I think the 600 raise is pretty standard with these stacks, and I like to see strong raises like this pre HU. When stack depth is relatively shallow like this it is normally aggression that wins.

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 08:17 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2010
I agree with spand in min raising or folding on the button.
And I can't see how you would ever fold Pocket Tens in this situation pre flop.
Shit happens you played well but got unlucky, but your still alive.
This is were it gets tricky in knowing when to push or fold as you can't just keep folding waiting for a decent hand.
Once you get short HU there is a lot of luck involved.
Well played

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 09:30 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danutz75 View Post
Personally I think the 600 raise is pretty standard with these stacks, and I like to see strong raises like this pre HU. When stack depth is relatively shallow like this it is normally aggression that wins.
The stack sizes are precisely why 600 is too big. I think whether we raise to 400 or 600, the villain's decision whether to shove or fold is not altered. All that is altered is how much we lose when we decide to fold to the shove. A 400 chip swing is very significant with the blind levels as they are.

Don't forget that we are usually raising preflop with weak hands that can't call a shove, so we want to minimise our losses as much as possible.

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 09:48 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
Anywhere from 2-2.25x is standard at these stack depths.

Old
Thu Dec 19, 2013, 10:10 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
My heads-up philosophy: bet as much as they will call too often when I have a stack advantage. When short handed I vary my bets more, very rarely limp pre and float a polarized range pre. If stacks are deep enough I will advertise a bit.

I also play opposite my opponent frequently, ie loosen when they tighten.

Old
Sun Dec 22, 2013, 05:24 AM
(#8)
Marking as done.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com