Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

0.55 PSO game pocket 99 SB

Old
0.55 PSO game pocket 99 SB - Sat Dec 21, 2013, 08:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
no reads on the player

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=D74B499A41

Old
Sat Dec 21, 2013, 08:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi sapines1001!

With 99 in the SB, I get a raise and a call. Since the stacks are deep enough to setmine (15X in everyone's stacks), I'm going to call to try to setmine.

I get a flop of three undercards and I'm going to make a standard lead value bet here. Bets postflop need to be made based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps in the pot, I need to bet 2/3 pot, so I will bet 1483. I don't want to bet less than this or I can possibly be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

The turn is another under and I'm going to lead the turn. I now only have one opp in the pot, so I will make a 1/2 pot value bet (2513). By leading again, I'm representing having a pocket pair or better... which I cannot do if I check.
By checking, it looks like I have two overs to the board that missed and due to this, I totally understand the opp's turn bet (although the sizing of it is too big... should have been a standard 1/2 pot bet). With the opp making a much larger bet than normal, I really need to fold here. The reason for this is that if I call this bet, I need to be ready to lead the river again for 1/2 pot but this bet would not make any sense... since I did not lead the turn.

The river overcard is a problem, as if the opp was floating me, they just got there and the opp should have 2 pair, overcards to the first four on the board, or a straight. The way the hand played out, I should have folded the turn, but now definitely need to fold on the river.

The key with this hand is that I need the bets that I make to tell a consistent story throughout the hand. If I'm going to lead the flop, then I need to be ready to lead the turn again when another low card comes. If the turn was an over that could easily hit the opp's range, then I can check/fold, but if I want to stay in the hand, I need to lead the turn.

Also, if I'm the opp in this hand, I'd bet the turn and river too because the SB called preflop (overcards or pair to setmine). The turn bet could be anything, but when the turn is checked, the overwhelming majority of their range is two overcards that have missed... which gives me a perfect opportunity to bluff and if I bluff and the turn is called, I need to follow up on the river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com