Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

calling shoves-PokerStove

Old
calling shoves-PokerStove - Mon Dec 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
Need some help with calling ranges when someone shoves.
For simplicity reasons, i am not going to refer to how many BB, position or payout structure, but lets say someone shoves the following range of hands: 33+, A7s+, AT+, K9s+, KQ, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s. Then, i go to PokerStove and I see that in order to have at least 50% chance of winning when i call, i need to call with the top 14% of hands which is 77+, A8s+, AT+, K9s+, KJ+, QTs+, QJ, JTs
Now, when I take, lets say, KJo and put it in PokerStove i see that i have 40% equity against the shoving range above
And here I am lost!
Should I call with that hand or not?

Old
Mon Dec 23, 2013, 04:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Not enough situational information. Sometimes yes and sometimes (maybe most times) no.

Old
Mon Dec 23, 2013, 05:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Remember that you're playing against a range, not a specific hand.
KJ is in terrible shape against AK/KQ/KK+ specifically, but it's in fairly good shape against the range 33+, A7s+, AT+, K9s+, KQ, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s.
That doesn't necessarily mean you should always call with KJ if you put villain on a range you have 40-50% equity against and you have the right pot odds. Particularly when close to or on the bubble, ICM factors mean you need closer to 55-65% equity when calling to increase your tourney EV in the long run. In short, you want to be a favourite against villain's range when you call a shove, not flipping with it.
A further distillation of the ICM idea is: Shove wider, but call tighter.

EDIT: Assuming you're not getting a discount in the blinds, then to call/reshove vs someone that's jamming the 15% range you specified, then you probably need a hand in the top 10% of hands to be +EV in a tourney/ICM sense. 77+,A9s+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo has a little over 54% equity against that 15% range, and you'll note that KJ isn't in this 10% reshove range. In many tourney situations, I'd even fold A9s and KQ if villain told me his exact range, because I might have a higher long term expectation by folding and waiting for a shorty to go busto.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Mon Dec 23, 2013 at 06:07 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com