Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

trips with A kicker vs flopped fullhouse

Old
trips with A kicker vs flopped fullhouse - Mon Dec 23, 2013, 08:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
how would u play?

Last edited by NaturoSasuki; Tue Dec 24, 2013 at 04:12 AM..

Old
Mon Dec 23, 2013, 09:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
The hand (KK) doesn't match the thread title

EDIT: I see the KK hand in another thread, so I'll move my thoughts on that to the other thread, while you fix the BOOM link in this one.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Mon Dec 23, 2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2013, 01:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Naturo,

The hand is KK, not trip aces. It's kind of important to start gathering reads, none of your hands have them. Since you're not running a HUD, start taking notes on players at least, it will help a lot.

I like the preflop play, but am not a big fan of the post flop play. I think we should simply c-bet the flop for value, as this is a flop texture we'd be expected to c-bet quite often and there are worse hands in villains range that will peel. And bet/fold at least 2 streets is probably ideal without reads. The line you took check/raising the flop, I don't like because it bloats the pot more than we'd like when he bets, and loses value from his worse made hands and draws when he doesn't bet. About bloating the pot, when he bet/calls or bet/3b's our KK isn't in great shape vs. that range, and now the pot has quickly gotten out of control. If we end up stacking off, it will often be when we're crushed.

As played, I would fold to the turn shove. There's literally nothing in his value range we are beating. Although given what he had, he seems to be suicidal enough to blast it off with AQ here, but we don't have that read at the decision point.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2013, 01:42 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
You should really study up on relative hand strength when playing deep.

KK is as good as 32o on this board if you are getting 250bb in.

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2013, 04:10 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
You should really study up on relative hand strength when playing deep.

KK is as good as 32o on this board if you are getting 250bb in.
huh? so link me to such article that says that about 32o
SRY, LINK EDITED

Last edited by NaturoSasuki; Tue Dec 24, 2013 at 04:13 AM..

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2013, 05:03 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturoSasuki View Post
huh? so link me to such article that says that about 32o
SRY, LINK EDITED
If you don't understand my comment about 32o then you still don't know about relative hand strength.

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2013, 05:24 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
If you don't understand my comment about 32o then you still don't know about relative hand strength.
thanks for answering question

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2013, 02:40 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
With the A9 vs 98, you got raised on the turn on a very co-ordinated board. Villain is repping a full house or straight. So why did you bet again on the river and then call another raise? If you must donk the river, then fold to the raise. Villain isn't raising with K9/Q9.

This is another "relative hand strength" issue. Trips with an ace kicker is a strong hand, but it's not so strong when you get raised twice on 998T4 with a flushy river. Your hand is nowhere near the nuts, whereas villain's actions indicate that his very much is.
You've got to learn to fold "strong" hands when villains are telling you (with their raises) that their hand is even stronger.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:33 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
The correct hand is now posted... play up to the river is fine imo. On the river I would check/call or bet/fold with no reads... I think this card is better to check/call because it's hard to get paid off by worse hands betting, it looks like we may have made a flush. Hands like JT won't pay us off as much now leading. Any worse hand strong enough to pay us off will usually bet themselves when checked to, so we don't lose much value from those check/calling. Plus, blind v blind the villain can sometimes be repping such a scary looking board with some semi-bluffs on the turn or even pure bluffs, and check/calling gives him a chance to put more money in with his bluff range, while leading lets him fold those.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com