Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

bad slowplay?

Old
bad slowplay? - Wed Dec 25, 2013, 01:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
was afraid of straights and in case that turn comes flush , i want to keep pot small and still be able to profitably call turn and see if i hit my fullhouse so i decided to checkcall OTT & OTF

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Are you sure u are capable to fold top set ? If you are not -> there is no way you can keep the pot small.

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2013, 04:17 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveslice View Post
Are you sure u are capable to fold top set ? If you are not -> there is no way you can keep the pot small.
why would i fold it ?!
i would either started reraising to allin on flop or played it drawy like this..

i didnt say that pot need to be small, its just the perfect size as i wanted it to be,
OTT i have to call 2$ into 4$ and he haz 7$ behind so with implied odds i haz 2/11.3=18%->need 9 outs at least but i haz most likely 10 outs so perfect.. i did put him on a straight, but same applies for set of TT which i could stack off OTF anyway... but better way is to stack him like dis .. + i got extra value from 3rd player who called extra 2$ behind me OTT
so i guess i played this line perfectly with numbers and everything

another line would be to reraise allin OTT , but i wouldnt get that extra caller by that play..

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2013, 05:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
Oh ok, I misunderstood.

So you though you are already behind, and wanted to full-house-mine.

I’m new to this, but if my calculations you get (player 4 excluded) total pot: 2.05+2+9.30=13.35, to call 2, pot odds 2/13.35=15%, I would calculate only 8 outs though, 16% -> still the odds to call.

Is this correct I don’t know.

Last edited by braveslice; Wed Dec 25, 2013 at 05:27 PM..

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2013, 06:07 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2013
yes, it is bad slow play.

next question?

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2013, 06:34 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2012
We're behind AK 89. Set of Q's. I guess we are also behind K9 but most people don't play that from early position.

We're ahead of so much of his range but he could be drawing to a potentially better hand, so I prefer to raise for value as worse hands can call. We also make draws pay.

So yeah, don't like the slowplay much.

Old
Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:12 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Raise the flop, print money, easy game.

You wrote "was afraid of straights and in case that turn comes flush"

That sounds like "scared money" to me. What you should be thinking is "How can I make the most money from flush and straight draws?". The answer to that is generally to RAISE FOR VALUE. In a multiway pot, it might even be beneficial if you can force flush/straight draws out of the pot. When you just call, you're giving villains the perfect chance to suck out with the right odds.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Naturo,

Start providing reads, so you can get better advice. Playing all hands without reads puts you at a disadvantage.

I agree this is an example of lost value. I would only be concerned about AK if the villains were super nitty (reads). Obviously the preflop raiser can have QQ or AK. Other legit hands for them to hold: AA, KK, TT, AQ, KQ, KJs, AJ, KTs... there's a lot of hands we are way ahead of, that would be willing to give us action on this flop texture. This is not a spot to pot control, it's a spot to maximize value by raising.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 26, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Naturo,

Start providing reads, so you can get better advice. Playing all hands without reads puts you at a disadvantage.

I agree this is an example of lost value. I would only be concerned about AK if the villains were super nitty (reads). Obviously the preflop raiser can have QQ or AK. Other legit hands for them to hold: AA, KK, TT, AQ, KQ, KJs, AJ, KTs... there's a lot of hands we are way ahead of, that would be willing to give us action on this flop texture. This is not a spot to pot control, it's a spot to maximize value by raising.
yez i guess i missed value on this one , looks more like i got lucky turn and river card cuz some 4th card to straight or flush card will maybe scare his set of TT's

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com