Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

skill leage vs sit and go..

Old
skill leage vs sit and go.. - Fri Dec 27, 2013, 08:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
This month i play for the first time in the skill leage, after having qualified via the open leage. My first tournaments i did ok and i was about 150 on the leaderboard. However after the first week, I cannot do anything right.. getting eliminated every time with the best hand.. ak vs a3, a3 wins, aq vs a4, a4 wins.. I play 45 player sit and go's at the same time..winning 1 in 5. Most of the time I get my good starting hands in the sit and go's, and the trash in the premier leage.. unbeleivable how carddead i am in the Leage.. Today I lost hand 2 from a stupid donk who go's all in every hand and beats my ak with 2-4 off.. Thinking about losing on purpose and play the open leaderboard next month.. What am I doing wrong..

Marc

Old
Fri Dec 27, 2013, 10:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Marc!

League games are totally different animals from sng's. In them, I cannot take chances early on in them, like I would in a sng. I have to pass up +EV spots unless I'm sure I'll be ahead after all 5 cards are on the board.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 27, 2013, 10:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
Hey marc, been on your table a few times and you are a solid player.

My first month in the premier also.

My only advice would be do what I intend to do, use the first few months to build up players histories, notes and tags. Then launch an attack on the league after that.

Keep your chin up.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 07:38 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2012
When I started out playing poker I was playing the skill league. When I realised how difficult it was not only having to deal with variance, but also the fact that you would get minus pts in the league, I quit - and only focused on SNGs. The problem with the skill league is that the structure is almost like a deep turbo, people have shallow stacks a lot of times, and most of your play is dictated by going all in. Not only will it aquire luck because you are forced to going all in as opposed to play post flop, but it's not normal poker, which again makes it pointless to play.

However in SNGs, if you play regular speed; there will be far more profitable spots for you. You will play with deeper stacks, and with the introduction of 1dollar 180man(given that your bankroll is small), you can get the feel of a "chip and a chair" strategy if you get low by any chance(bad beat, bad play...)! Not only this, but you will be able to play post flop, and if you are good, or practice a lot and you become better, you will take advantage of weaker players and start accumulating chips with less risk. There's a lot of times where I only lose big pots during a tournament/sng because of going all in, eventhough your shoving/call range is tighter/better than theirs, you might end up losing anyway - as you stated in your post. Hence it's better to play deeper stacked tournaments like a regular speeded sng as opposed to be playing a deep stack turbo like the skill league.

Despite of all that I've said, I'm returning back to the skill league in Febuary(starting open January), but I never regret leaving this league for a year to practice some real poker.

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 10:17 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2011
thanks all for your advice and support.. will try to earn some money in the open leage in January since I earned only 40 VPP and its useless to play in the Premier Leage with less than 150 VPP, so maybe I will play the Febuary Premier Leage again..

Best wishes and good luck for 2014!!!!

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 04:11 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2013
Donks in premeier league? oh come on i had enough of donks in open league,i used time bank strategy every tourney to reach premeir league for good poker but now u sayin thyre shovin wth everythin thy hv in premier 2..Woow it really mde my morale down

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com