Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Calling All-In preflop

Old
Calling All-In preflop - Fri Dec 27, 2013, 08:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
BronzeStar
Hello,
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm begginer with the game. Would any of you call all-in preflop with QQ or any great pocket pairs such as JJ,KK or AA? I would like to know, if that's a stupid mistake to call it in case, you don't know what's your opponent holding. Thank you in advance for you answers.

KingJelimán

Old
Fri Dec 27, 2013, 08:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi KingJelimán!

I'll call with AA and KK for sure. QQ is a maybe and will depend on the way the opp is playing (most likely calling unless I have a note on them saying they only shove AA or KK). JJ, I don't like calling shoves with as it's a made hand, but can be very marginal.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 27, 2013, 08:46 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJelimán View Post
Hello,
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question... KingJelimán
KJ, no honest question is ever stupid. Asking questions and applying the resulting advice is cheaper than learning at the school of hard knocks.

If you get a stoopid answer just ignore it.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 12:18 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
As with most poker questions, the answer is "it depends". One of the many factors to consider is stacksize. In a full ring cash game with stacks of greater than 100bb, I'm not often getting all in pre-flop with anything but KK+, but in a 6-max game against someone playing a 40bb stack, it's fairly standard to get it in with JJ or AK, as well as QQ+. In a tournament, stacks are likely to be much shallower. It would often be a huge mistake to not stack off QQ, if the effective stack was less than 20bb, primarily because a villain can get pot-committed with a worse hand, and you probably won't get another great chance of a double up while you have a playable stack.

If you have a play around with the PSO odds calculator, you can get an idea of how well hands play when all in.
For a first example, assign a range to your villain of QQ+/AK, and give yourself the range AA. When you evaluate that, you'll find that AA beats QQ+/AK more than 80% of the time. It's therefore massively profitable to get all in pre-flop with AA, even when villain has a strong range. Put QQ, JJ or AK against that same QQ+/AK range, and suddenly you're an underdog, with around 40% equity (You'll only win 4 times out of 10).
When a pocket pair goes against a bigger pair, it's a 4:1 underdog; a spot you really don't want to be in. If you have kings or aces, you're much more likely to be a big favourite. Not only should you almost never fold pre-flop with KK/AA, but you should try and get all in at the earliest opportunity, usually by making standard 3-bets/4-bets/5-bets to build the pot, and perhaps inducing a villain to go all in with worse. With a hand like jacks, you'll usually be better off keeping the pot small pre-flop, in the hope you'll flop a set or an overpair. If you happened to call an all in shove when you have JJ, you're sometimes a bit ahead (racing with AK/AQ) but are just as likely to be crushed by QQ+.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Dec 28, 2013 at 12:21 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com