Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Need to earn 1200 VPPs

Old
Need to earn 1200 VPPs - Sat Dec 28, 2013, 01:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
I really would like to earn this many VPPs before December is out do you think I have time?

Also I have a bankroll ~$250
I usually play heads up CAP zoom if I play at all but would play 6/9man zoom if I felt I could win there.

The reason for this is so I can be a Goldstar in January as I know a Goldstar playing at low stakes SnGs would be daunting to play against.

What games should I play and buyin for how much?

Just played some $0.25/$0.50 Heads Up Zoom (CAP) and earned a few VPP but am unsure whether I should continue with this or move to a different type of zoom table.

Thanks,
Ash

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 01:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash1591 View Post
The reason for this is so I can be a Goldstar in January as I know a Goldstar playing at low stakes SnGs would be daunting to play against.
In my opinion, the number of stars you have next to your avatar will have an effect on other players that is negligible at best.
Some Supernovas are no better than random 10NL grinders, for instance. Your VIP level doesn't show how "good" you are. It shows how much rake you've paid.

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question. I personally think that chasing VPP goals (except when you have a short time to achieve a particular cash bonus) is generally a mistake.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 01:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ash1591!

Don't judge a player by the number of stars that they have. The number of them is only an indicator of how much rake a player is paying. There are plenty of bronze and chrome stars that are excellent players and there are also gold+ players that are not good players.

The determining factor should be... what games can I beat (make a profit at) and what games am I bankrolled for. With $250, for a serious player, I would only be bankrolled for 10NL and if I lose any, then I'd have to drop to 5NL. If I'm playing HU, then I'd want even more buy-ins, which would lower my play level even more.

I don't want to chase vpp's and I don't want to be moving up in level until I can prove that I'm profitable at a given level over a very large number of hands.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 02:12 PM
(#4)
Sorry I'm not sure I explained myself very well, I mean I'm not saying the number of stars actually says how good players are but to new players it will be more daunting playing a Goldstar than a Bronzestar can you not agree with this?

I know it was for me when I started maybe I'm different but that's how I felt.

Also John this is something I don't quite understand if you say 5NL you mean $5 as the maximum buyin or minimum?

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 02:23 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Sorry I'm not sure I explained myself very well, I mean I'm not saying the number of stars actually says how good players are but to new players it will be more daunting playing a Goldstar than a Bronzestar can you not agree with this?

Also John this is something I don't quite understand if you say 5NL you mean $5 as the maximum buyin or minimum?
I wouldn't agree with the first question. The number of stars should is irrelevant. I know a ton of bronze star players that are much more daunting than a number of gold/platinum/even supernova. I actually have one nova labeled as a player without a clue at NLHE. They may be great at another game or may have bought the stars, but they don't know how to play NL.

5NL is 2 cent/5 cent blinds. 2NL is 1 cent/2 cent, 10NL is 5 cent/10 cent. It goes by the blind size. $1/$2 blind is 200NL.

When playing a ring table, I also want to buy-in for the table maximum when playing, so that I can take maximum advantage of my better hands.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2013
Instead of trying to cram in as much play as possible in 72 hours why don't you just plan January properly and set achievable daily/weekly targets to get to goldstar?

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 03:13 PM
(#7)
That's a very good point Danutz75, but it doesn't stop me doing it now?

I have started making plans for January as next year I want to achieve Supernova

Poker is going well at the moment so I wanted to try for it before next month do you have any advice?

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 03:48 PM
(#8)
The majority of the best poker players are well organised and disciplined. If you go just to cram then you are going outside your comfort zone by playing huge volume, and risk losing a relatively small bankroll compared to the volume you are aiming for in 72 hours.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 03:55 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danutz75 View Post
The majority of the best poker players are well organised and disciplined. If you go just to cram then you are going outside your comfort zone by playing huge volume, and risk losing a relatively small bankroll compared to the volume you are aiming for in 72 hours.
Very good point you make I would hate to loose my bankroll, mind you I've lost it quite a few times haha so I'm going to just play normally and see what happens.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 03:58 PM
(#10)
Well my advice would be don't do it, you are risking a $200 roll to get to a status that earns you .5 of a fpp per vpp more.

If you hit 8,000 vpps next month that is only 4,000 extra fpp by achieving gold yes?

Is 4,000 fpp worth risking $200?

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#11)
Since: Mar 2013
my advice is get to supernova at all costs

i remortgaged my house (twice) and also worked as a shoe shiner on the old victorian london streets for tuppence a shine

but the point is, if you dont get nova, you have failed and everyone will hate you

my other advice is to ignore this post

Last edited by ouchbadbeat; Sat Dec 28, 2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 04:12 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchbadbeat View Post
my advice is get to supernova at all costs

i remortgaged my house (twice) and also worked as a shoe shiner on the old victorian london streets for tuppence a shine

but the point is, if you dont get nova, you have failed and everyone will hate you

my other advice is to ignore this post

I lolled at your unedited original

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 04:13 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2013
there's a calculator here
http://www.pokerstars.com/vip/calculator/

At 234 hands per hour on the 2 CAP 50NL table that you say you're playing, you'd earn about 58 VPP an hour. So you need 20 hours of this... or more tables

Could be costly. I tried to crank out 50 VPP this past weekend, it cost me probably 15 dollars, just to get $10 bonus. Not generally a good idea to set goals two days before the end of the year

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 04:14 PM
(#14)
Since: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danutz75 View Post
I lolled at your unedited original
edited it to clarify i wasn't having a pop at anyone else

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 04:16 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchbadbeat View Post
edited it to clarify i wasn't having a pop at anyone else

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 07:53 AM
(#16)
Since: Apr 2012
Quote:
Just played some $0.25/$0.50 Heads Up Zoom (CAP) and earned a few VPP but am unsure whether I should continue with this or move to a different type of zoom table.
You are lucky to be here with a bankroll. Playing 50NL Heads up with 5 buy-ins is insane. Don't know the math but i wouldn't play HU with less than 100 Buy-ins (5000$ in your case). If you have that money to spend i'ts ok, but if 250$ is your total bankroll you should give up ASAP of your goal and start playing 5NL at best.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com