Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL, 6Max Zoom, QQ, Vs. Turn overbet all in

Old
5NL, 6Max Zoom, QQ, Vs. Turn overbet all in - Sat Dec 28, 2013, 04:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
Unknown opponent.

Just to preface this hand, I'm pretty convinced that the check on the flop here was terrible. Would've been much simpler to C-Bet and make a pretty simple call of his short stack re-raise.

Other than that, what do you guys think of my fold? I can't work out what I should do here.

Thanks for your time.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 05:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
To be honest, I never mess around with these small stackers. I would just shove the flop and hope for the best. Prob a leak of me.

He called behind pre and called your squeeze, yet on the flop he checks to you. Wouldn't he bet and try to get it in asap if he had a king? On turn the flush completes and he shoves. Would he not make a small bet to get value of hands like AJ, pockets, Kx?

I could see me hero-calling here

A C-bet on the flop would have made things much easier indeed.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 08:30 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
It can be tough to play against short-stackers, which is why some people choose to do it

You could just call preflop and close the action, but I think it's better to 3Bet and try and get to the flop Heads Up instead of 3-way.

As you say, I think checking the flop is not a good play. The chances of him having a K are very low and I think you should bet for value and protect against flush draws by shoving. Any other size bet is going to commit villain anyway so you might as well get it all in now when you still very likely have the best hand. I expect all Jx in his range to call, probably some Ac flush draws, maybe even TT-88 might not find the fold button.

As played, you're in a tough spot. I still think I'd call as he could be doing this with a lot of different hands once he realises you probably don't like the KKx flop and are likely not on a flush draw, which you probably would've CBet the flop with.

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 10:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
It can be tough to play against short-stackers, which is why some people choose to do it

You could just call preflop and close the action, but I think it's better to 3Bet and try and get to the flop Heads Up instead of 3-way.

As you say, I think checking the flop is not a good play. The chances of him having a K are very low and I think you should bet for value and protect against flush draws by shoving. Any other size bet is going to commit villain anyway so you might as well get it all in now when you still very likely have the best hand. I expect all Jx in his range to call, probably some Ac flush draws, maybe even TT-88 might not find the fold button.

As played, you're in a tough spot. I still think I'd call as he could be doing this with a lot of different hands once he realises you probably don't like the KKx flop and are likely not on a flush draw, which you probably would've CBet the flop with.
Quite an interesting point about him shoving on the turn once he's realised I'm not fond of the flop because the actual reason I checked the turn was because I thought 'he's going to bluff so many turn cards here on that stack'. I let him do it, then chickened out when he actually did! That's why I think this play was really poor; I had a plan for the hand then chickened out.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com